Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am painting a few exterior parts on my project Semi gloss black. I want something that is very durable.

I have called every shop around and know one has a clue as that what I should get.

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that looks awesome.

Isn't the problerm that i'm running into is that my local paint shops don't have a flat clear, or the flattening agents they need. I was told by one shop that Itrust that they have a single stage that's semi gloss.

I may need to pick up a little of that and give it a shot.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
"Matte" clear is what it usually called. It is the ONLY way to go in my opinion. Adding flattener always opens a can of worms. Matte clear is a no brainer.

Brian

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
This is one of the reasons the Matte clear is so nice, it is way tougher than SS.

Brian

·
Registered
381 Posts
MARTINSR said:
"Matte" clear is what it usually called. It is the ONLY way to go in my opinion. Adding flattener always opens a can of worms. Matte clear is a no brainer.

Brian
I like the flattening agent because you can tweak it to the exact look you want. If you do use it make some test panels and write down how much flattener you used so that if you have to repair it will match. About a month after finishing the Chevy it was hit in the quarter panel. We knew how much to use so matching it was easy. I used Omni (PPG Brand) M148 flattener, P sheet shows 51oz per gallon for flat 45oz per gallon eggshell and 42oz per gallon semi gloss. Clear was Omni MC-161. Not hard to do but not as easy as matte clear.

Kurt

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided to go with a single stage acrylic enamel. I had the paint shot mix up some gloss black and add a flattening agent. It worked out great.

I appreciate all the advise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.