Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sequel Corp Remanufactured 454 Question

Hello Guys

I recently purchased an excellent running 454 that was in a '73 1 ton Chevy PU. Engine ran great (no smoke, good oil pressure) in the truck - the only issue was a slight lifter (or exhaust?) tick on the pass side.

I bought & pulled the engine & brought it home. The block casting number is 361959. There is a number on the front pad, but no suffix. The block casting date is 1978 - 346236 casting (peanut) heads.

When I pulled the engine I noticed that the Quadrajet was a remanufactured carb with a 2006 dated tag.

Tonight I noticed that there is a metal tag epoxied to the lower driver's side of the block. The tag reads: Sequel Corp.. Ser# 4196938XXX over FDSCV454TCP. A google search reveals that Sequel Corp is an engine remanufacturer located in Missouri, but little else.

I bought this engine as a rebuildable core - I plan on changing the pistons, heads, cam & lifters (solids) in order to make a high compression HP street/strip engine that will see 5500-6000RPM tops.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of this Sequel Corp?

Do they do a good job rebuilding, or are they a half azzed organization?

I'l find out the ugly truth when I tear the engine down - I'mm just looking for a little background.

Thanks!

Wildman1

·
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts
221 Posts
I don't know anything about the company, but I bought a truck with a 350 in it of ran engine donor for our V8 beetle project. The owner had the engine remaned and when I bought it from him it had ariybd 5000 miles on it and ran great compression was withing 3psi (147-150psi) on all cyls, etc, but the tranny was going out so he sold it to me...........

I pulled the engine and found a simular tag on my block but it said "Sequel Corp a division of ???????" I don't remember what the ????'s were off of the top of my head.......I had all the info for that company wrote down somewhere at my desk, but I can't find it..... I'll check the tag tomarrow and see.

I'm thinking it was a division of Springfield ReManufacturing company???? http://www.srcreman.com/ But I'm not positive..... What ever company it was I called up to see if they could give me any info on the engine and what has been done to it. The secretary was very nice and willing to help but the guy that she said could help me was on vacation......... Since then I've forgotten about it and never called back........................

Thanks for the reminder..... I'll have to get the info again and give them a call.............. I'll also let you know what I find out....

You can see some pics of my engine http://www.zbcreations.com/donor.html but no pics of the tag.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zbhover,

The tag on my block also actually reads "Sequel Corp, a Div of ???????" I can't read the missing data as it has been painted over.

Let you know what you find out....

Thanks!

Wldman1

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
7/23/09 Update:

Tore the engine down this afternoon, and found good and bad news.

Bad news - block has been bored .060 over - I was hoping for a std bore. Two bolt mains, cast crank.

Good news - engine is very clean and seems to be in excellent condition. No ridge in cylinders, lifters all came right out, clean oil.

Will a .060 over 454 w/ 2 bolt mains and a cast crank work well for a serious street/strip engine? As I said earlier, I want to build a high compression engine - 12 1/2:1, rectangular port heads, serious cam. I plan on operating at a top RPM of 5500-6000.

If the block magnafluxes ok & the crank is ok, I may save some machine cost if I can get away with a hone instead of a bore and align hone.

·
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts
221 Posts
I was correct on my thinking. The Tag says division of SRC or Springfield ReManufacturing Corp

Below are some phone Numbers I pulled off of their website......... I'm going to try to give them a call tomarrow and see if they can give me some info on whats been done to my 350..........

CUSTOMER SERVICE
Phil Lane 417-829-0709

Warranty
Charlie Finn 417-864-0689

SRC
650 N. Broadview Place
Springfield, MO 65802

Phone: 800-772-7733 or (417) 862-3501
Fax: (417) 864-0625

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank Guys

I've been thinking it over and have decided to take advantage of what is good about the situation - a great running shortblock.

I now plan on using the existing flat top pistons, going with a better pair of heads,and a hydralic cam that is a bit radical.

My first thought with the flat tops is to go with a set of closed chamber oval ports. Does anyone have a good casting number suggestion? (I now have peanut ports)

As far as a cam choice, any suggestions?

I'm going to clean up the shortblock internally using kerosene, gunk the exterior, and paint her up.

New timing chain set and hi volume oil pump. Add cam, lifters, heads, aluminum intake and carb - this is going to be a LOT cheaper than I had planned!

Now to find a 4 bolt std bore block with a forged crank to build my monster..... :mwink:

Thanks guys!

Wildman1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.