Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I can`t find the serial number on my car and do not know the precise year it was built. It has one 46 front fender and one 48 fender. Can you tell me where the serial number is located? Can I determine the year by that number? All help appreciated. Thanx, Bob Myers SD

·
Administrator
18,397 Posts
My 51 pickup has a tag on the passenger side on the firewall..............I don't know ir there is a number stamped into the frame somewhere. I have heard back then, that they went by the engine serial number a lot. Not sure about Fords.

·
Registered
327 Posts
poncho62 said:
My 51 pickup has a tag on the passenger side on the firewall..............I don't know ir there is a number stamped into the frame somewhere. I have heard back then, that they went by the engine serial number a lot. Not sure about Fords.
I have seen the information on the F1 on the glove box and it is on the frame rt side near the front wheel on the frame on my trucks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Should be number stamped on right side of frame opposite motor and on dash panel. 1946 should start 6GA or 69A, 1947 is 7GA, 7HA, 79A, 1948 is 89A, 98HA, 98BA. This info is from The Serial Number Book for U.S. Cars. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 46 delivery had the vin number stamped on the drivers side fire wall and on the top of the frame over the rear end on the drivers side.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You did say CAR didn't you? 32-48 Ford cars and 32-47 Ford Pickups have the identification numbers stamped into the the top of the frame rail on the left side forward of the firewall. The same number on car frames will be stamped on the rail at the rear crossmember and at the back of the front door. If the original transmission is in the car or pickup the number will also be stamped into the bellhousing top center.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
serial number location 46-48 ford

Hi Guys,
Thanx for all the useful information. I found my numbers and it is a 47. Thanx again, Bob Myers SD.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
serial number location 46-48 ford

Hi Guys,
My serial number is really hard to read, but it looks like 799A1988579. Does this make sense? Can this number be decoded by anyone? Thanx for any help. Bob Myers SD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts