Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 29 model A tudor sedan. i have a model A frame too...i can't find any vin numbers on the body or the frame, and i read a little bit about them and found out that they didn't really have vin numbers and if they did they were found on the motor...my question is how do i go about getting a vin number to get the car registered...im in canada, and in order to register the car i need a government safety witch requires a number...any ideas??? thx

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
BC regulations

The way its done in BC, is to take the car to a certified mechanical inspection station. The vehicle is classed as a home build. If the car passes inspection, they put on a BC vin plate. They will probably be able to attach the safety sticker at the same time for the extra fee. I live in an area that does not require safety inspection. So you may have to register before safety inspection. I'm not sure. Call Motor Vehicles for proper procedure. Once that is done. The car can be registered and insured. This is also the way its done for trailers, Harleys, and wrote off vehicles that were put back together.

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
29modela said:
ok so i have a 29 model A tudor sedan. i have a model A frame too...i can't find any vin numbers on the body or the frame, and i read a little bit about them and found out that they didn't really have vin numbers and if they did they were found on the motor...my question is how do i go about getting a vin number to get the car registered...im in canada, and in order to register the car i need a government safety witch requires a number...any ideas??? thx
The serial number will also be found on the frame. The body must be either lifted above the frame or removed to see the numbers. Look on the drivers side top section just behind where the firewall would be located. Many times the original engine has been swapped out and the engine serial number will no longer match the original title.

·
Registered
579 Posts
here in nova scotia you must bring in a sales reciept from wherever you bought it.
so. if you bought a car from a guy who got it from his granddad , you would get a reciept and the contact info for the seller and a short explain how he got it. they will give you a serial #.

·
Registered
190 Posts
What you need to do first is get a serial # found.If you bought the car, you need a signed receipt with the serial # on it, which it sounds like you don't have.If the car has been in your family for years, a short note from a relative stating that it is now your car may work. It worked out that way for me.You need to get a T.O.D.-- transfer of ownership document---- (kind of like a title in the U.S.). This costs about $15.00 and registers you as the legal owner of the car.Do this now, before you spend a lot of time and money on it, and find out that there is some other issues.I heard of a guy that bought a partially finished project from a guy. He finished it, went to register it, and found out it was stolen, and lost everything.Go to one of the main MPIC offices to sort things out. The local agents aren't to clued in on this, and have to call the main office anyway. Hope this helps some, Jim.

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
29modela said:
is the number stamped into the frame?

Yes, usually near the outer edge. The serial number (whether on the engine or frame) will begin with a STAR symbol then a single letter A followed by the serial numbers and another STAR symbol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
heres what i found out..i phoned mpi (manitoba public insurance) and they said that what you need to do is phone the rcmp and they'll come down and inspect the car and give you papers..then take the papers to mpi and theyll give you a new number...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts