Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a guy that has a 71 Challanger R/T that has been made into a Pro Street. It's used mostly for show. I can't tell you everything that's done other than it looks like a show car. Built 340 engine, tubbed, roll cage, custom interior close to stock and the 3 color paint looks great. It has less than 500 miles on it. He's wanting to trade for my 69 Firebird that was just finished ground up about 3 months ago. The Firebird was built back 80% original except for exterior color and it has a 455 YH instead of the factory 400. I've got $15,000 in the Firebird not including labor. The Challanger will never be able to go back original. Your opinion--
A good even Trade?

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
in my years of buying cars, and collecting toys, I have learned one thing.

Value is in the eyes of the beholder.

If you feel it is a good trade, and you are happy with it, dont worry about what everyone is gonna say. Will the guy let you trade back? can you make an agreement that both of you do NOTHING to the cars for a week or so, and give you guys some space to really figure out if its a good deal?

sounds good to me, but I dont know part by part what is in either car... also I think it depends on what you want to do with the challenger? keep it pro or attempt to go back original? (sounds pricey)

sorry if I was no help!
:evil:
gluck

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
i have to agree, if you like it its up to you, if you really want to you can get an appraiser do both cars and see if your in the same neighborhood. its all about taste and preference, on the outside they both sound like good cars so either way you shouldn't loose out.:cool:

rich

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
You are going from a full spectrum vehicle to a VERY limited use vehicle. If you can live with that, then you may not be hurt in the trade. Think of resale. It will be a VERY limited market for the R/T, but a very BROAD market for your Firebird.

Trees

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Since you "restified" the Pontiac, I'm assuming you have a preference for originality. You now have a car that YOU worked on. To trade would be getting someone else's work. Would you be happy? Don't think so.

My $.02

(Besides, I'm not real happy with Chrysler products.)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Opinions

I appreciate the input. It just seems that Firebirds are slow movers to resale. And if you build one the right way which is a fortune people are afraid of a $19,000 car. But you can't give it away either. I'm just not up to date on Pro Street cars. I don't know if they resale good. The Firebird won't do nothing but increase in value each year if I do have to sit on it awhile. Maybe the Good Guys show in NC this month may be the place to sell it.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Pro Street Mopar with a 340? What's that guy on? If ya want a pro streey mopar get that 528 or whatever Hemi Crate motor and stick a 5-71 on top that sucks through a couple of Holley Domiators. The 340 is a inexpensive lightweight high-revving engine. A pro-touring flavored Barracuda would be an ideal candidate for a 340.

I'd keep the Firebird; I assure you that it handles wayyyyy better than a pro street anything ever would.:)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trades

I'm now begining to wonder on this trade he called me and wants me to fax a bill of sale before I get there.

·
Registered
491 Posts
He seems pretty anxious. Is your stomach tightening like somethings wrong with the picture?

Sorry to say, its your decision. Re-read Tree's serious opinion.

Dutch

·
Registered
117 Posts
keep the firebird. look at how expensive parts are for that dodge if somehthing (engine wise) was to break or have problems. the market for the car is very small and so is the aftermarket parts bin. You'll always be able to find what you need for the firebird. And who wants a dinky old dodge anyway...j/k.

But like everyone else has mentioned, do what you wanna do, and make the decision that makes you happy...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seroius Opinions

Can't get the pictures to download for some reason but I think I'll follow Trees advice. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get the one you want and dont look back. Dont let parts cost get in your way. If you like the Mopar go get em. You know you will spend a ton on any rod, so just do waht feels right. THe Firebird is a nice car though.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
If the Mopar wasn't set up as a pro-street (aka more versatile and streetable), it'd be a harder decision. But, I like cars that can handle better than a semi.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
go for the pro-street car...then I'm partial to pro-street cars...I have 3 of them!!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts