Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an older carburated 350 that I'm putting into a project vehicle. I don't have any of the front pully stuff yet (alt., p.s. pump, etc., no a/c) and I'm thinking a serpentine system from a wrecker donor would be cool. Can anyone forsee any problems? Any donors to look for or avoid?

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
I found a while back the alum brackets from a 93-94 model Chevy van work the best...? They put the alt on the passenger side and the A/C on the drivers side (opposite in the trucks) also with the alum van brackets the passenger side does not have the smog pump mount like the alum truck brackets do... In addition the alum brackets are nice and stiff and do not tend to crack or break like the steel truck brackets do (power steering pump is most the common place even with the extra exhaust bracket)...

I just last night worked out how to use these also on a BBC... Yes SBC brackets (serpentine) on a BBC with underdrive pulleys also... ;) Using very slight modds they work perfect and I will post pic`s possibly tonght also...

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
Serpentine conversion, no problem :thumbup:

I would try to get a setup out of a donor 5.7L Camaro(Iroc) or Firebird (T/A -GTA) car from 88'-92'. These work real good and replacement parts such as PS pump, alt. and AC compressor (R4 style) are fairly inexpensive and readily available.

I just bought a new set for my 94' Suburban TPI conversion. Note - you can leave out the smog pump and route the belt to accomodate this. If you want to buy new brackets and pulleys, you can get them at Street & Performance for $385 (click here to view). You can see my bracket and pulley conversion here.

But now that I think about it, you could also get the brackets and pulleys off a TBI model truck or Suburban, say 90'-95', since you are not concerned with the AC comp. & alt. spread required for the TPI throttle body. That would probably be your cheapest route considering that there are probably more Chevy and GMC trucks available to pull from.

Good luck, Ed www.edgesz28.com

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,819 Posts
Taken from the 4.3, The 4.3 doesn't have the bottom threaded holes of the four holes located either side of the crank snout. You can either makeshift a bracket for the added support or because it's street use not worry bout it. A lot of racers running street stocks do this for the aluminum serp belt set up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.