Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a very good carb guy quite yet. I can tune them in and thats about it. hehe. so my question to the pros is. how to I set the Float level on my holley 600. it's a 4160 I believe, if that helps. it's still on the car. so if I don't have to take it off that would be better but if I have to it's no real biggie...(I just put it on last week so it's a pain if you know what I mean.) thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ok 84.Try this. Have a 5/8" wrench and a big flat screwdriver positioned at the same time on top of the needle valve assembly at the fuel bowl.With the engine idling a little faster than curb idle,and with the sight plugs removed,unfasten the screw in tiny bits and turn the hex nut also in tiny bits in such a way that not much fuel will leak out from there.Say you want to raise the float level,then you lose the flat 1/4 turn do the same with the hex and re-tighten the flat quick.Have a look at the sight plug and see if it came up closer to the lower edge of the orifice.If you do too much it will spill fast,then you redo the procedure but now turning in to lower the float level.Have a fire extinguisher near,just in case.
NEVER try to turn the hex nut without releasing pressure from the flat screw.It might ruin the threads on the bowl.Also NEVER tighten the flat way too much,just enough to seal it.
It is a very clever way of adjusting from the outside,but requires skills not everybody has.Good luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...little to much of a pain. lol is it easier to set off the car? and my problem is that I can't keep the car running at idle because SOO much gas is being dumped into it. for god sakes it takes full throttle just to start the car. so I'm guessing with it off the car it's easier? well a little more help please I'm still lost.

...I just read this link this guy sent me up there I think I got it. but if there's any other way it would be helpful. the car wont start because of all the fuel going to it. so I should lower the float first right?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yet again... I'm still kinda lost everywhere I've checked it says the car needs to be idling to set the float level, well thats my problem I need to set the float level because the car is just getting to much gas to even start unless I give it full throttle...so yet again should I just lower the float level first?

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Yes for starters lower it, loosen the lock with the flat tip and turn the nut about a half turn in a clockwise rotation, reset the lock and try it with it there. You may have to floor it still to get it started at first, but this will give you some idea on where it`s at, if it`s still too high, repeat the step above. Be advised also, if you lower it too low, the nut won`t adjust it anymore, then you`ll have to remove the lock and the nut and turn it back out counter clockwise. If it gets like this and it`s still flooding, then there`s trash in the needle and seat or there`s too much fuel pressure.
After you get it baselined, you can set the carb from there.
If you used a open adapter to bolt the holley on it likely won`t tune out like it should, and if you never changed the distributor to the older HEI with vacuum advance and mechanical advance now would be the time to do so.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah nuts. well I have a good ol' rochester on there that was acting like ***t so I slapped this holley on there to eliminate problems...ack well I'll give it a try this weekend and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
906 Posts
everybody,

I bought a new 530 Holley and it flooded the engine out when I started the engine up.
I adjusted the float down as far as I could and it still spued fuel all over the place. I called the 800 Holley number and they said that if it still is flooding out the engine then the fuel bowl would have to be removed and then "bend" the float down.
When I took the bowl off I took the needle out of the fuel inlet and looked down inside, and there was a TINY piece of brass from the machining of the part stuck in the seat area causing the needle to stay open even when the float was trying to close the fuel supply off.
SOOOO you might have a dirty needle to clean out.

Scholman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.