Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so Project Twin Turbo 454 is a GO! I feel fairly confidant about all the parts, like crankshaft bearings, distributor, and more but there is one thing that I am unsure about: Ring gap.

Now I understand ring gap is different in turbocharged motors as they burn hotter. I was thinking of taking some rings to get them sized by my regular mechanic, but he says they don't have the equipment for custom stuff like that. So I am left with two options:

Either I take them to a machine shop, which I am unsure of what to ask to get them cut properly

or I can try and see if a company sells piston rings for a 454 that are pre-gapped for turbocharging. For the sake of simplicity, I would much prefer to go this route, as it takes the guess work out. Does such a thing exist? Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

·
True Hotrodder
1,641 Posts
Ring cutters are not that expensive. Get .005 oversized rings and cut them yourself. If it's new to you, there's a bunch of information on the interweave. Deciding how much gap to use is probably going to be the tougher decision.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
You can file fit them yourself with a budget ring filer. Or use a file. You don't need to make more this than what it is. Basically , anywhere from .024-.028 will be fine. But to be sure, contact the ring manufacturer and see what they advise for your exact set of rings. I've use JE Pistons and rings on most of my custom turbo stuff, and .024-.028 is fine. On my junkyard LS stuff, pretty much at least .030" and all is good.

Who's rings are you using and what are they?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can file fit them yourself with a budget ring filer. Or use a file. You don't need to make more this than what it is. Basically , anywhere from .024-.028 will be fine. But to be sure, contact the ring manufacturer and see what they advise for your exact set of rings. I've use JE Pistons and rings on most of my custom turbo stuff, and .024-.028 is fine. On my junkyard LS stuff, pretty much at least .030" and all is good.

Who's rings are you using and what are they?
I have not decided on the rings yet as I am trying to ask all the questions before buying anything (trust me, I've learned my lesson about jumping the gun). I'm open to all ideas

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,061 Posts
Ring sets come with the instructions for checking or filing gaps. Most ring sets will come with a generic gap already set. All you need to do is check them, file as needed for your application and go. When you buy pistons you can buy piston/rings together, in kit form to get you started. Ask here if you get into a bind.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Ring sets come with the instructions for checking or filing gaps. Most ring sets will come with a generic gap already set. All you need to do is check them, file as needed for your application and go. When you buy pistons you can buy piston/rings together, in kit form to get you started. Ask here if you get into a bind.
X2 with this unless you purchase a ring set that has to be filed for fit.

·
More for Less Racer
20,095 Posts
Since you will be increasing gap to larger than stock spec, there is no need to buy the oversize file-to-fit style, just buy the standard oversize for the bore size you have and just file those larger.
You can pick up the simple hand crank grinding wheel style filers for about $50.....a performance shop is going to charge you a lot more than that to do it, since it is a somewhat time consuming process of checking the ring in the cylinder bore, measure it, pull it out and file it some, repeat check, file again if needed and repeat until the gap is to the spec you want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alright, so Project Twin Turbo 454 is a GO! I feel fairly confidant about all the parts, like crankshaft bearings, distributor, and more but there is one thing that I am unsure about: Ring gap.

Now I understand ring gap is different in turbocharged motors as they burn hotter. I was thinking of taking some rings to get them sized by my regular mechanic, but he says they don't have the equipment for custom stuff like that. So I am left with two options:

Either I take them to a machine shop, which I am unsure of what to ask to get them cut properly

or I can try and see if a company sells piston rings for a 454 that are pre-gapped for turbocharging. For the sake of simplicity, I would much prefer to go this route, as it takes the guess work out. Does such a thing exist? Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
contact the turbo company they understand the their product and will be glad to help different boost different gap,daily driver,track use all things they will most likely ask so be ready.good advice means they get a happy customer that means more business for them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually have a youtube channel where all I do is car related stuff and I post my car there frequently! I'm gonna be documenting the build from start to finish!

Here it is if you're curious: Spoilerz

·
True Hotrodder
1,641 Posts
The reason I suggested the .005 oversize rings was this is your first time cutting them - taking .005 off can happen in a few turns of the cutter. This will give you a chance to see how much you are cutting off and then allow you to figure out how to sneak up on your final gap setting. With standard rings at a standard gap, you have a lot less room to play with but it's your choice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I didn't see it mentioned, but if the pistons are aftermarket check with the manufacturer to get a end-gap recommendation. For example; Keith Black Hyperutectic (spelling?) pistons always specified .007" to .008" per inch of bore on their pistons, as opposed to more like .004" on many other pistons. With a turbo it might even need more, but to be sure talk to the manufacturer of the pistons if they're aftermarket.

Lynn

·
Registered
439 Posts
This is worth reading before (and during) doing it.

As Eric said, it is time-consuming. This article should help.

As you file, you should keep checking that your cut is parallel to the other end of the ring, when the ring is compressed to the bore size. Otherwise most of your gap can actually end up wider than intended.
I've been told by a reliable source... that if they end up a little wider than intended, it isn't a big deal.
Better a little wider than too narrow, especially with boost.

I believe this article also covers things like making the bottom (2nd) ring gap a little wider than the top, as advised by the experts here.

EDIT: I forgot to mention "Dual Turbo 454?! Yowza!!"... yeah we're gonna need in-car action video on that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts