Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a bunch of old threads about this, but am all mixed up.I know that I will have to reduce the pump pressure to make the steering less sensitive.I want to go the internal pump adjustment way.I haven't ordered one of those kits yet.Some of the old posts talk about cutting some off the old spring, is all you have to do, but how much? Other posts talk about adding washers, which would make a stronger spring,which doesn't make sense?Other posts talked about different springs in the kit. Is that where you add washers to fine tune it? Is oil volume from the pump an issue in getting this to work nice, or is it mostly a pressure thing? Hopefully one of you guys that have done one before can set me straight. Thanks Jim .

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Borgenson sells a kit which modifies the pump's flow control valve to reduce the pressure. The kit used to cost under $20 but might be a bit more now, haven't bought one in a couple years. The kit basically includes shims, a new "0" ring, and a tool to hold the unit in a vice to make the modification. Takes about 10 minutes if the pump is out of the vehicle. Heidts also sells an external adjustable valve that does the same thing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That shim kit is what I am questioning?Is it little shims that"stiffen" the existing spring in the pump?That would make it push harder on the inner flat piece.Where I am confused is simply, "are you strengthening or weakening the pressure on that spring'' ? Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have tried the cutting of the spring and i went to the different valve to limit the pressure, the steering is still too sensitive.if i had to do it over again i would go with the adjustable one from heidts.this is on a 40 merc.it is a heavy car.the only good thing about the quickness of the steering is in parking lots, other than that do not sneeze while driving down the highway unless you want to change lanes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts