Hot Rod Forum banner

Sewing Problems? With Singer 211 G 156

9K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
I have a Singer 211 G 156. I bought it from a guy in Oklahoma. I live in Kansas. It had minor problems with it but i took it to a place to get it fixed. I have not sewed anything yet, as far as projects. I had the machine sit for two months. I just now got around to sew a scrap piece of vinyl together to see what it looked like. Everything sews fine, sort of or maybe its just me. The problem I am having is when I sewed the scraps together it wrinkles up on a Basic seam stitch. Also when I look closely at the holes when I do a single reinforced seam I can notice the backing of the vinyl show through the holes and also wrinkles up a little bit. The last problem is the bottom stitch or bobbin thread is looking like the tension is not where it should be. I have adjusted them a couple times and got it looking better but to me it can look a lot better still. I am just about close to my bobbin screw to come out of the threaded portion ( I don't know what you call that.) The needle tension can go tighter but I am scared to tighten it some more, because it would feel like the thread would break but i do got some more room to tighten it.

I do have the right needle size in the machine (135x17 number 10). As far as the thread i don't know because I am using the thread that came with the machine when I got it. The guy I got it from dad did do auto upholstery, So I assume it should be the correct size thread. There is no marking on the plastic that the thread is wrapped around. Thanks for reading.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Yes, you have thread tension problems, and it's probably because the machine isn't threaded right. There should never be that much difference between the top thread and the bobbin thread. Are you installing the bobbin correctly? That's what it sounds like.
Look at post 3, 4, and 5 of this thread: Singer 211 issue, bobbin case? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board The picture shows how to thread the needle thread.

Size 10 is too small for auto upholstery. I never use a needle smaller than size 18. The thread size should be at least size 69. I don't think size 69 will even go through the eye of a size 10 needle.

Attachments

#4 ·
Those aren't actual rules, but they are common sense.

The other thing that makes a lot of sense is to have a used machine gone over by a professional sewing machine mechanic who will check for worn or broken parts, time the machine, and set the tensions.

#6 ·
Hey guys. Thank you for your Info. I was able to read on one of the bottom of the threads that the guy gave me with the machine, it was the correct size it said 69. The other ones didn't have a sticker so I didn't bother to check them all. Also I double check the way I threaded the machine, I was doing it the right way. I did catch that I was putting the bobbin up side down. I corrected that mistake. Then it hit me that the bobbin was not going freely when I try to pull it out, its been like that just didn't think anything about it to much. I mean it had some tension pulling it out but not to much. So I looked in the bobbin case and saw a piece of foam? or something at the bottom of it. I took it out and did another test run and it is a lot better lol stupid me didn't notice that in the first place. The bobbin thread comes out with no tension. I did a few minor adjustments and it has the tension it needs to look right when I sew.

I did take the sewing machine to a professional to get it fixed and at one point I guess the tension was right. He sewed a piece of vinyl and left it in the machine as I picked it up or I assume it was from that machine lol. I did have it sitting for two months, but I don't know how that piece of foam got in there because I left the plate closed. Well anyways I got it fixed. Thanks again for all your input to my situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.