Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
More for Less Racer
19,271 Posts
Mcleod or Quicktime is all I know of. I don't know if even Mcleod still does though, they had a modular bell concept for a while for T-56 applications

Factory never did an SFI on anyting, any year AFAIK

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
If this is for a street car you can run a expired sfi bell. I think recertification is $100 or so. But, if the thing is sitting on a shelf expired collecting dust it could be bought for cheap.
I have bought 3 McLeod bells at this point as well as a handful of seat belts. All expired with plenty of life left in them.

If this is something that needs sfi certification then you need to consider that $100 recertification plus the used price of the bell and judge if buying newer is a better option.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If this is for a street car you can run a expired sfi bell. I think recertification is $100 or so. But, if the thing is sitting on a shelf expired collecting dust it could be bought for cheap.
I have bought 3 McLeod bells at this point as well as a handful of seat belts. All expired with plenty of life left in them.

If this is something that needs sfi certification then you need to consider that $100 recertification plus the used price of the bell and judge if buying newer is a better option.
I didn't know re-certification was an option or the cost for a used shield. The QP shield runs about $795 plus $193 shipping to Alaska.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts

As long as it does not have a crack or repairs it should be good to slap another sticker on it and be good for 5 years. Unless they make up a rule change out of the blue which they would never do. Best to keep that rule book for your intended class memorized.

·
More for Less Racer
19,271 Posts
As far as recertifying goes, companies will only re-cert their own products....so out of date bells from conpanies that no longer exist cannot be re-certed.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
well.. shoot.
Guess people are forced to buy new bells every 5 years. Which means there should be plenty of them available used if you do not need to run certification.

·
More for Less Racer
19,271 Posts
well.. shoot.
Guess people are forced to buy new bells every 5 years. Which means there should be plenty of them available used if you do not need to run certification.
That's why a big racer complaint is that a lot of those SFI certs are a money maker scam....harness seat belts every 2 years, can only re-cert once per set is the biggest beef, while slower cars with 50 year old stock seat belts are perfectly OK.
Bellhousing shouldn't realistically require a re-cert unless it has contained an explosion, then re-cert check it. It's not like it is a wear or rotating component.

I went through that baloney with a formed steel Ansen blowproof bellhousing....sure, it was 20 years old at the time but it was also made out of steel nearly 150% the thickness of the new Lakewood bell of the same style...but Ansen was long gone, no way to re-cert it. Tech guy at the track said send it in, Lakewood re-certs them...Lakewood said nope, we didn't make it, we won't re-cert it.
I ended up selling it to a circle track guy, where rules makers have a brain in their head and it didn't need a cerification.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
All this is true. I spoke to Stroud about making an SFI blanket for bells (lower powered street cars than yours); not sure whatever happened with that. The owner of Stroud was a really nice guy though.
Make sure if you buy an aftermarket bell for a t56, you either buy or make a plate to use for your BH : Block alignment and parallelism checks. If GM ever DID have a scattershield for the 6speeds (Remember a T56 magnum isn't a T56, its actually a TR-6060); it would be found somewhere like a COPO parts list; but for the life of me I've only seen TH400s in the COPO's. It'd also be a GM logo on someone elses part, and more money than its worth.
Brent Carson (Gears to Go LTD in British Columbia is the biggest McLeod distributor in Canada and one of the best clutch guys around. He does a lot of T56 and TKO business. and might be a good place to start. He can easily dropship to you. Tell him Nathan from Auto Gear sent you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts