Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on getting the shaft out of an HEI distributor?

i managed to get it this far by gently tapping with a hammer at the gear end and slightly twisting back and forth a little. But, at this point, it won't move at all. These were very gentle taps, not big poundings.

When the distributor is fully assembled, the shaft does spin freely.

i understand that the shaft should fall out normally, but i suspect this is the first time the distributor has been dissembled. (Ronald Reagan was still president when this distributor was first placed in service......)

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Who was this Mulgooney guy?
Penetrating fluid and tapping it back and forth will get it out.
use a drift from the bottom end.

·
More for Less Racer
20,117 Posts
Drive the shaft back in until it turns free again, and then shoot into both ends around the shaft with some carb cleaner, let it soak for a bit, soak it again, then lube it up with Kroil or PB Blaster and let it soak for a bit.

What you are fighting is 30 years of baked on oil film, as you drive the shaft up the bushing is trying to peel that oil crust off and gets packed up and binds up. When you can get some lube finally in there to soften that old crud up it will finally come out a lot easier.

May have to work it up and down a few times, cleaning and lubing it some more as you make headway on it, then it will finally fully clean the shaft and come out.
Make sure there is no burr at the pin hole for the drive gear so you don't damage the bushings driving it past them.

\In 20 minutes you'll be done.

RWENuts is quicker to the point than I was...(y)

·
Old(s) Fart
5,800 Posts
Drive the shaft back in until it turns free again, and then shoot into both ends around the shaft with some carb cleaner, let it soak for a bit, soak it again, then lube it up with Kroil or PB Blaster and let it soak for a bit.
Actually, once you have it driven back in, check for burrs at the lower end, specifically around the hole for the roll pin that retained the drive gear. File as needed to clean that up before trying to pull it out again.

·
True Hotrodder
1,669 Posts
Geez - Knock it back down in it's normal place and soak that puppy in some gasoline. It won't take long.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carb cleaner did the trick---and very quickly too.

No burrs at the roll pin hole.

i'll update at my next crisis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts