·
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell us about the oldest car:
  • you've owned / driven
  • you've ridden in.
If you have photo's... even better,

Owned / driven would be a 1926 Ford Model T coupe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ridden in would be a '24 Ford coupe that my grandpa owned.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,157 Posts
I have owned a 1923 Ford T Coupe. I traded my Harley for it. (Dumb Move) I drove the car about 5 or six times over about 6 years. It is the scariest car I have ever driven!! The body lean was awful, The steering was sensitive and the 3 foot pedals was a trip! With less than adequate brakes, you started slowing down long before you needed to stop.. Oh throttle on the right side of the steering column and ignition advance on the left side of the column. If ya didn't run enough advance on the lever the damn engine would start to boil over. Yeah I was happy to get rid of that coupe suicide doors and all. I initially was going to hot rod that T but finally got smarter and sold it stock and bought the 27 I am building now.:cool:

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Oldest riden in would be a steam tractor. Oldest car is a electric from around 1915.
I have a thing for chain drives. If it has a chain drive I want to hear them slapping around 45mph.

Oldest I owned was a 46 REO. Cab rusted and I pulled it out of the dirt. But that grill man. I wish some one made reproductions of that grill. I sold it out of needing room for another less labor intensive project. But I wish I had kept the grill.

Oldest I drove was a 64 impala on hydraulics. I drove it for a summer and sold it in the fall.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I still have the high school T bucket, I found the 1916 rusty body in 1951, My youngest son's wife wants him to "restore it. All new brake rubber hoses wheel cylinders put on an alternator. short water pump so a fan will fit. as soon as he gets the 3 rd stall in his garage taped and painted. I still have my barn find 17 T touring, started it in 76 drove it onto my trailer. ans still stored un touched.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Early 1980s, a buddy and I were chasing down front sheetmetal for his '70 El Camino through the classifieds and met a guy only a few blocks from me parting out a wagon (same stuff) who also did upholstery and had a '39 (?) Ford 4-door sedan, with a tunnel-rammed 327 Chevy installed via some type adaptor, it was otherwise all stock except for of-course a nice interior. We soon became good friends, for about a year until he must have owed somebody a bunch of money and one night up and skipped town, gone like that. Anyhow...

About halfway through that we were riding in the Ford and he said "Here, you drive". Uhhh...OK.... The road home was this busy, curvy four-lane with fast-moving rush-hour traffic. Driving that heavy, tall Ford and trying to find gears with the stock three-on-the-tree, stock suspension swaying this-way-and-that, the utterly mis-matched dual-quad tunnel ram...it was crazy, maybe terrifying, the motor alternately sputtered and then made great power, all with whatever cars behind me right on my tail and passing with glaring looks any time I slowed.

The experience actually made me not want an old car very bad. However if anybody knows a guy about 65 now named Jim Southwell and fits the description (town was Sunland CA), I'd sure like to meet up again. No he doesn't owe me money.

Oldest I've ridden in are tied with two '32 highboys, one a neighbor's with some-type four cylinder and the other a friend's 6-71 blown 392 Hemi. Either of them I felt like I was going to fall out of. The Hemi car was, I use the word again, terrifying; no roof, roll bar, I don't remember seat belts and the tires surely didn't have a chance at traction. (I sound like a wuss, huh.) I'd do it again though.

I traded my field-find '37 Chev truck that I never got going for a (good) tube bender last year, that leaves me w/ a '49 Stude truck with similar chances of running although I've done a lot of work. I've driven our '59 Impala quite a bit, making that the oldest I both own and have driven.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
Oldest I have drove and ridden in was my brothers 1922 Buick Roadster. The oldest I have owned is my 48 Chevy pickup but I had a 24 Buick Roadster body that I hoped and dreamed to make
something out of one day but never did and sold it.
Brian

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Sky

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,311 Posts
Ok, really the oldest one I drove was technically a 23 Ford, but that's only because the cab we bought had a title. The truck itself was a mismatch of literally whatever junk we had around the shop; an Olds 350, a (rather rare) dual-fit TH350, a steering column from a 50s Buick, steering box from a 58 Ford, seats from an auditorium, and a rear axle from a 29 Dodge. I think with the exception of things like hoses and wires, the only thing we bought new for it was a radiator and tires.

So... TITLED as a 23, but really a complete mismatch of stuff from the 20s to the 70s

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.