Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the easyest way i can put shaved door handles on my nova without bondo? i was looking for new door skins but noone has any that don't have holes in them, and what parts do the kits consist of?:drunk: :smash:

·
Registered
864 Posts
ProjectSuperNova said:
Whats the easyest way i can put shaved door handles on my nova without bondo? i was looking for new door skins but noone has any that don't have holes in them, and what parts do the kits consist of?:drunk: :smash:
why without bondo?

only option then would be to get someone who can make a perfect patch panel to cut out the door handle location and weld in a patch that will be un-noticable

·
Registered
144 Posts
How about trying metal bonding adhesive and tool excess to as level a surface as possible and finish it. The metal bonding adhesive is unreal stuff. It has been used in auto manufacturing for years now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i don't want to use bondo because ive seen it crack in the sun before and i would like to keep the car 100% metal. no plastic, this metal epoxy sounds good tho

·
Ferguson Coachbuilding
388 Posts
This isn't a good application for panel bonding adhesive. I can assure you, you will see a line.
PSN, I like the way you think.
What year is your Nova?
Use the search function on this site and type in the keyword 'metalshaping'. You will find several tutorials I've submitted that will show you how to properly weld in a panel to fill in the handle holes without distortion or the need for filler. My suggestion would be to find a donor door and cut out the area in front of the handle that has the proper contour for the patches. There's plenty of material there to make both patches from one door. An 8"x3" piece should work fine. Cut the patch first, lay it over the area you need to cut out and scribe around it. Carefully cut inside the line and use a file for final trimming to the scribed line. This will give you a perfect fit and will be easy to weld in. Keep us posted!!

Randy Ferguson

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that sounds like a great idea to make a patch, ill have to try it, ohh and my car is a 69 (originaly a 5.7 300 hp small block, muncie 4 speed, and 10 bolt rear combo) which is sporting some nice improvements over factory, check out my intro, just search under my name, i couldn't think of anything better to put for my first entry so i discribed my car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts