Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i know atleast a dozen of you have shaved doors and at least one of you have had this problem. when i hit the remote to open my door the relay sticks and stays open, both doors do this, all i do to unstick it is tap the relay, well today i didnt relize it stuck and it burnt up my selinoide. so now i have to buy a new one, for some reason the fuse didnt blow, i guess ill put a lower amp fuse in it to help next time, any clue to what is making it stick? thanks for the help

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
colormecrazy said:
Sounds to me like cheap relays. Try changing them out with better ones.
thanks for the reply, i ordered it from aim industries, not the best quality, so i guess they threw in some cheap realays to save some cash

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
My passenger door solenoid stuck today with the latch in the open position.
It happened while I was cranking the car, I never touched the remote to open the door.
I noticed the smell of plastic burning and immediately disconnected the battery.
I pried the lower edge of the door panel up, fire extinguisher in hand.
I disconnected the solenoid which was red hot, the wires had not burned but the plastic on the door panel inner was sagging, this was making the smell.
I have the best relays replacing those that came with the door kit and they live in the engine compartment.
Bad news is the drivers door does not respond, maybe the control unit is fried as well.
Everything is fused but I cannot check it out until tomorrow, it´s dark here as I write this.
I´ll post a pic tomorrow.

Edit: don´t know the difference between a relay and solenoid :mad:
BTW, mine is a door kit VPA-80158DP, bought from Summit.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Here´s apic of the burnt out/melted solenoid.

This could be the reason it stuck, the pull cable is corroded on this the driver´s side solenoid.

Here is a comparison, a 45lb with a 15lb solenoid.

This is the new solenoid assembly before it went into the door.

And this is how I bolted it in.

This is a view showing how it connected to the door latch.

As of right now it all works fine, but those big solenoids are very loud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts