Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
iv been doing a heck of alot of work on my truck and wondering how thick should the sheet metal,
be in the cab of my truck, the left side is there, very little of it but the right half is gone. Would it be easer just to get some kind of floor board or something? If i go with sheet metal about how thick should the metal be ?

Thx
1950 chevy truck
Spike

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Where are you replacing? The floor, inside rear, doors outside rear??? Where the sheet metal is used will determine its thickness and the structural itegrity needed.

HK

·
Registered
533 Posts
Personally I like to use 16-18 ga. for floor pans with ribs to stiffen, 20-22 ga. for side panels, forming and welding usually strengthens them.- But it varies on the vehicles... older use heavier. I've worked on cars that body panels were 18 ga. Best is to check the original thickness w/a gauge and replace with the same.( Gauge to measure costs only a couple bucks.) good luck!

·
8,453 Posts
My '53 Chevy PU has 18ga body metal. That is what I used in king cabbing it (extended the cab 2') and it worked great. You may want to use 16ga in the floor. I used 18ga there and it is a little thin, although there will be a rear seat over most of it so doesn't really matter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts