Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a truck with real bad fenders etc. Rust, bondo chipping you name it. I don't have alot of the bumping and painting tools as the pro's, but I will tackle anything! What and where do I get sheet metal to fix fenders and pick-up box etc? What sort of welding do I do on these and what is the correct filler to use etc? Please advise in the right direction. Thanks, Dana

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
First I would suggest that you log in over at www.metalmeet.com as that is where the sheet metal workers hang out..

The tools needed are simple and not all that expensive to hammer out your patch panels..

Welding either a torch with a small tip or MIG for welding in the patches..

20 gauge metal should be available at most steel suppliers just call around to find someone who carries it..

www.car-part.com may have some fenders for that truck as well as some of the aftermarket suppliers..

Good luck

Sam

Just take one fender at a time and get it done and into primer then go to the next one..

Use bondo or usc filler on that but as you progress in your metal working skills you will find that you need very little of the fill..

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi 39 Chevy,

One more time is offering good advice. Checking in at MetalMeet.com will provide you a wealth of information.

The fenders on my 35 Chevy were pretty much as you described. I had them dipped for stripping then Randy made and installed 19 gauge patch panels. Examples of what can be done are shown in my project journal.

Good luck and have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts