Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gents,

I’m not a pro at painting or body work. I’ve been doing it on a limited basis over the last 20 years, watched many instructional videos, made some mistakes but got lucky a few times.

I repainted a car with DuPont 7800 High Glamour and it came out looking fantastic. I did have to nib sand a few dust spots but I buffed it using a Milwaukee professional buffer (https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/5460-6). I found it did best when I used a multi-layer cloth buffing wheel at slow speed and SIDEWAYS. That is, I turned the buffing wheel so its edge was doing the buffing, not like using the flat face of a buffing pad.

I’ve used other clearcoats for trucks, specifically Sherwin-Williams Dimension and Acme products. They worked fairly well but they had terrible shelf life. The hardener solidified all by itself, with no contamination after about a year. The DuPont High Glamour, which was very expensive, stayed useable for 15 years. Can anyone recommend a product which will perform as well as High Glamour?Any recommendations for products with long shelf life?

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
If you only paint once in a while heres a trick to making your activators last.
stick the hose to your mig welder in the can and let the gas replace the air. The gas is heavier than air so everything stays fresh. any gas that's heavier than air will work the mig is just something we all have around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great idea!

Thanks Deadbodyman....I'll do this. I actually have tried it with meat....replacing the air in a ziplock bag with argon and then freezing it. The meat tastes fresher for a longer time.

But these hardeners I've used recently solidify after a year even if I don't open them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts