Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Thunderbirds, 94 & 97.

As with many other newer cars(post 89), these cars will ot shift out of PARK unless the brake is depressed.

I never gave this any thought until last night, While I was in DesMoines, and my wife, on her way to work in the 97 stopped at the store. Upon her returning to the car to leave, that silly car decided it was not going to go anywhere at all, and refused to leave PARK.

Being absolutely helpless for this situation when she called me, all I could do, was have her shut the car off and restart. This did 'clear' any gremlins that were hanging out in this circuit.

Does anyone know where and how this is wired up in this car? I would rather have a disabled system than have the car decide a tow is in order.

The Ford diagrams and service personell are absolutely usless in my area. They once had me chasing a relay that was not even installed in the car (all I found was an empty relay socket after removing the dash). :mad:

As I am currently out of town, and upon my return home, I have to hire someone to replace a septic system, I have no desire to tear into the wife's transport for 3 days looking for a wire, while digging up the back yard (what a crappy job).:pain:

Is this relay operated? under the dash? in the console?

This is a FULLY LOADED Bird so there is a crapload of wires everywhere.

Does this work like the GM counterparts?:confused:

If Doc has no idea-----is Kultulz out there somewhere?

Bryan

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
there's a mechanical lever type thing connected from the shifter to just behind the brake pedal, when fully depressed, it will push on the lever. likely, this is out of adjustment, should be easially adjustable.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

I looked on the Schematic, and did not find a relay for that car..(unless it's part of the Anti Theft System, which I doubt..) So I have to assume it mechanical...

IIRC , there was a problem with that system that started a recall, with it popping out of park into reverse while idling..

Sorry, but that is about I know about it maybe Kultulz Can offer more detail than I can.

Doc :pimp:

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Some of these interlocks are mechanical while some are electrical (solenoid). When it happens again, turn ignition key off and into unlocked position which should permit shift lever to be moved out of park. Then start in neutral.

There should be a note regarding this in the Owners Manual. If this doesn't work, get back and we will go into the Shop Manual.

The ability to bypass and/or defeat is dependent on anti-theft system installed in car.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all.

Amazing how one's ability to think clearly when one's wife is in a panic 1000 miles away, GOES COMPLETELY OUT THE WINDOW!!

I would not have thought of starting in netral 'til I got home.

(I am leaning to electrical-----restarting car freed it up)

I will call my wife now and let her know

Bryan

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay Kultulz,

Just called Susan, and sent her to the car.
It will shift with the key in the OFF position (not locked)
When running the button on the shift handle will NOT depress to shift from park.

Pretty sure this is an electrical gremlin.
Is there a solenoid in the handle?? Appears so to me.

Anyway---she should be okay til I get home. She said that it was giving her fits all day today. And as I was travelling by air, and then left my phone in the hotel when I went to the plant, she was not able to get hold of me all day.

Bryan

·
Registered
38 Posts
The wire to the brake switch (Under the dash on the pedal arm) goes bad alot of time that or the switch itself. They sell the conector/ harness

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Bryan59EC said:
In a Floor Shift??????
yep. we had 1 in our auto shop, where the activation lever on the floor shifter broke in park, we had to break the shift stop to get it out, it was a students car he was gutting for a Demo derby so it didn't matter ( '94 Geo Metro ). the activation rod likely goes thru the console, from where it is behind the pedal

·
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw
682 Posts
You should ask here if here brake lights work. Like timido said most of the ones I have seen are run off the brake light switch. You can disconnect it and clean the connection to see if that helps.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good idea 69Nova

I got home last night---she is out getting lotto tickets now
I will check when she gets back home

Bryan

Thanks Kultulz!!!!!!!!

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well then----
Brake lights are intermittant

No brake lights with pedal firmly depressed (sad brake pedal) :(

The lights flicker while pushing the pedal.

So, I doubt it is a fuse.

I guess tomorrow I will be under the dash after all.

If the brake light switch is the culprit-----Pretty good way to keep you from driving the car with no brake lights.

Bryan

Thanks again, Timido, 69Nova, Kultulz

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Timido said:
The wire to the brake switch (Under the dash on the pedal arm) goes bad alot of time that or the switch itself. They sell the conector/ harness
Timido
You get the prize.

69Nova
Good thing to check---Most of her driving is after dark.

Kultulz
I will hang onto anything that refers to these 2 Birds---they have been my
favorite drivers since 94---BAR NONE

See broken wire inside connector
$3.00 pigtail at junkyard----The Ford store is closed today
$5.00 Stop light switch at Autozone

Very difficult to crawl under the dash to splice wires:pain:

Note broken wire inside of connector

Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. My '88 T-bird had a similar problem, but with different symptoms. The '88 doesn't have the park/brake interlock, so when the brake switch connector wires broke off, the cruise control refused to shut off when I tapped the brakes. It's disconcerting (to say the least) until you figure out if you stab the pedal hard, the vacuum will be relieved and it will turn off anyway. This happened twice, once for each wire. Must be another one of Ford's "better ideas". :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts