Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do they mean by a reverse or foward valve body? in my malibu i have a stock floor shifter and i was wanting to buy a pro bandit from b&m but not sure on which one i need... as typical when i shift the car the shifter goes as normal down park reverse neutral drive 1st 2nd is this a reverse or foward valve body... tci turbo 350 stage 2 shift kit tci 3500 stall converter

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wait a minute. You're saying your stock unit goes in this order?

P R N D 1 2

I've never seen the 1st between the Drive & the 2nd... :confused:

Maybe someone can shed more light, but in my experience the only difference between a standard valve body & a reverse valve body is thus:

Stock: P R N D 3 2 1 (assuming a 4 speed)
Reverse: P R N 1 2 3 D

Big difference is the logical progression from Neutral to 1st gear, and the fact that you won't slap from D or 3 into N when you reach the top of your RPM scale and have your foot buried in it.

Personally, I I like a stock pattern with a reverse lockout and a safety start (N and P) on a DD.

I don't race, I rock crawl, so on my fun rigs, I like a reverse pattern with NO reverse lockout, as it lets me go from 1st to R rapidly (& vice versa) for saving a roll over, bumping a ledge, etc...

Truth be told, I still run 4 speed T-18 manuals in everything except the FJ, but have run the above auto patterns in the past & probably will again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts