Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
starter shims?

So here's the deal. I bought a starter off ebay, and I really like it. It didn't cost too much, its 2 hp, nice, well built components. Bolted it up, didn't shim the mesh at all! Worked perfectly. After a couple of starts, the bendix gear started rubbing against the flywheel, horribly! So I shimmed it back, it quit for a while, and now it rubs intermittantly and ever so slightly (once on start-up, then just a tick here and there at different R's). The problem is that it sounds just like spark knock, and I have some pretty good compression going, so I need to know what's going on. Anyway, to make a long story short, I need some more of these "nose" shims for the aftermarket starter. Its built like any other mini starter (big billet aluminum block that bolts to the body and can be adjusted in 3 positions). Where does one get these shims?! Autozone doesn't have them, the guy who sold me it says he just has the ones that come in the kits... summit advertises a "shim kit" for 10-20 bux depending on the brand, but I think it just includes the bolts and the mesh shims.

Any ideas!?

K

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, its gotta come back a ways (I cheated and used washers and a form a seal to keep goop out). How thick are they? Maybe like 6-8 would be cool, then I'd have xtra. Let me know how much u want for them-

K

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,411 Posts
Autozone, Try a real auto parts store.
Maybe rite aid has them. How about some cardboard.
:spank:

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,411 Posts
Sorry I did not have to use them on this motor.
The old ones are on the floor in the junk pile. :evil: :pimp: :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts