Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so soon i may need to ship a car from Alcorn Mississippi to toronto Ontario. its about a 20 hour drive i was wondering if getting it shiped to buffalo NY then me going to pick it up and drive it across the border would be the best idea. the thing is I DONT KNOW. if anyone has some ideas i would love to hear them

Thank You Mike

·
HEAD GREASEWHORE
56 Posts
I brought a car from MD to Ontario .... I brought across in 2 pieces. I put the car on a trailer and the engine in the back of my truck .. I had all the sales slips present and crossed the car as a "parts car" it was cheaper to bring across then i put it together in ontario .. took it to a federal safety station because it then has to meet Canadian specs.. then paid the taxes on it at the MTO .. and then drove on ....... You still have to pay duty on it but as a parts car with cheaper sales slips it was not as much
I think I saved pretty close to a G note...

Pup

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I've only shipped from Canada to the U.S. (not visa versa) but as others mentioned above, there is some serious paper work involved. One way around that is to simply hire UPS (yes, THAT UPS) as your board agent. You contact them, they gather together all the necessary documentation, and they appear at the board with the car is about to cross and walk it through. I think their fee is $125-$150 USD.

Yes, you can do it yourself, but if you are missing any of the required documents or they are at all questionable, you could be turned back...and face a second costly trip.

Also, if YOU are actually going to drive or haul the vehicle across, be aware that you will be asked for a passport when going into Canada. While you can still get across without one, you might face a fairly long delay (I did the last time I crossed) without a passport. So if at all possible, get a passport.

And finally, don't make any wisecracks at the boarder (about long waits, terrorism, or their proceedures.). They do not take kindly to this and again, you could face some very long wait time if they don't like your attitude. (Um, don't ask me how I know this.)

Dewey

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
I read an article about this, and I think it says that your paperwork has to be forwarded to the custom people 72 hrs before you cross with the car.......May not be true, but it stuck in my mind when I read the article...Check it out with Canada Customs before you plan anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.