Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, don't get mad at me for asking this here but I don't know where else to post it.

I found a posi rear for my buick in California but I live in Atlanta. Anybody know what it might cost to ship it or know of a web site where I could get a quote. How much do you think it weighs?

Thanks
Mike C.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are the kinds of responses I was afraid I might get. I just thought someone here may have had experience shipping large items like this and could give me some advice from personal experience. I tried to delete the post but it won't let me. If someone could do that for me I would appreciate it.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Ok

I called Currie Enterprises and asked who they used to ship their rears out. They use yellow freight, and assuming your rear weighs close to 270 pounds and it's being shipped a long distance, shipping is usually about $260 dollars.

Better?

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Use Yellow if at all possible,I work for a compeating company and one of the guys shipped the Mudder tires for his Z71 through Yellow because they were alot cheaper.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, but do I sense a hint of sarcasm? I do realize that I could have done what you did, it just didn't occur to me :rolleyes: Thanks

Thanks also RCastle. Quite a good review coming from the competition and all.

Mike

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was saying that I deserved the (friendly) sarcasm as I could've just as easily did what you did. All is well.

No, the shipping actually kept me from buying it. Oh well, there will be others.

Peace

·
a.k.a. Rusty Shackelford
226 Posts
How would you guys go about shipping large bulky items that are not really that heavy? I've got two front fenders for my 36 IH that I need to ship to the east coast. I don’t really want to crate them because that would be a lot of work and I don’t think they need it. Do any of you have experience shipping stuff like this? Where should I start?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Now is not a good time to ship anything of weight as the freight lines are adding a fuel surcharge.

I have shipped two ford 9" rear chunks in last two weeks.
Both I shipped by Southeastern freight.

GA to Washington St- $62.50
GA to LA, CA--$108.70

Never did good in history but I though CA was closer to GA than Washington? Both chunks were within 2 pounds of each other.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
go greyhound?

In doing some searching on this on another board I came accross guys who claim to have had much success shipping fenders, bumpers and such via Greyhound. I'll try and find the link if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Barz51 said:
How would you guys go about shipping large bulky items that are not really that heavy? I've got two front fenders for my 36 IH that I need to ship to the east coast. I don’t really want to crate them because that would be a lot of work and I don’t think they need it. Do any of you have experience shipping stuff like this? Where should I start?
If you don't want to crate them you might as well go out there and beat the crap out of them with a sledge hammer now and save the shipping charges.

Fedex is reasonable but only cover certain things up to $100 for damage loss. I shipped a pair of doors for a 72 F-100 and I think they charge me about $75 each. Length plus girth not over 165 inches and then it gets into over sized.
I use the post office whenever the cost is close because they don't beat the crap out of the boxes like UPS and Fedex.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Barz51 said:
Man if you build wood crate for the fenders the truck lines will beat it to death, just for spite!

Go to the body shop of a local dealership have them call you when they get two new fenders in and take the boxes and your done. All they do is tear the boxes down.
They may have some untore down in the dumpster.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You also might get ahold of BenD on the HAMB. He hauls cars all over the country and may be able to relay the fenders for you. I hauled a car from Texas to Calif. and another one on up to Spokane and took a set of 54 Chevy front fenders the whole way for a guy in Canada and didn't charge him anything.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
There are sveral branches of FedEx.The part I work for is the LTL system.They haul anything.I have seen crate engines,rearends,Bobcats,two pickup trucks,and an electric bull on our dock.They have an overnight gaurantee. The price is competitive. There are cheaper,but they seem to stand behind the shipping.It will get there. One of the funniest things I saw was a big cow prop,full size,with utters and a milk substance.It is designed a s a teaching tool. Since everyone in the shop MILKS their work all night,I had a dock guy take it back to the shop.My shift all stood behind it and a manager took a picture.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.