Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if someone has already done this, and thought I'd ask before spending many hours at the keyboard.

I'm looking for a program that you could enter extended / compressed lengths, specify the attachment types -- top and bottom, and then be presented with a list of "possible" (Monroe or Gabriel) part numbers.

I've worked in auto parts for 30 years, and it's a real PITA to have to read through PAGES of charts.

The other similar scenario is brake hoses. I DO have an old Wagner Illustrated guide that you'd have to pry from my cold, lifeless, grip ... but it's also a pain to have to read the whole section.

Routine, mundane, boring tasks ... that's what computers are for, right? :D

IF I have to do this ... could someone upload a program onto a website / wiki?

·
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
~Sigh~
OK, you're probably right...
somebody has to do it, right?

When I "git 'er done" ... I'll send a copy of the program off to Monroe, in the hopes they will incorporate it into their own website.

Perhaps they'll be resposible for maintaining the information as well? :mwink:

·
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Alright Guys ... it's almost done.

Monroe had an on-line PDF version of the mounting length data (thank you Monroe!) which I was able to copy/paste most of the data from. Add about another 12 hrs of database design ... and presto!

I still have to mess around with a few of the "what if's" in the database code, and maybe "pretty it up" a bit more.

But this is the general idea:

1.) Select one or more upper and lower mounting types / sizes in the 2 list-boxes ... one for upper mounts, the other for lower mounts.

2.) Enter compressed / extended lengths and a "plus/minus" range (which I have set to 1/4" by default).

3.) Click the button to find a list of part numbers that satisfies the criteria.

It now takes seconds ... instead of 1/2 hour or more ... and a lot of "pen-marks"

See the attached screen-shot.
What do you think?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.