Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Tacoma OffRoad Edition. 60k miles on it, It spends a good 4 months in the fields of West Texas
in 4 wheel drive and the rest of the time it is my DD around town. Truck came with Bilsteins and are the originals!
The truck rides fine but I am used to "the ride". Just wondering what ya'll think is a normal life span of a shock?
Appreciate all responses in advance!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Try bouncing them to see what they have left. Push down as much as you can on one corner of the truck (bumper), release and see what happens. With good shocks, the truck (car) will bounce upward once then go back down to normal height. More up-and-down movement means you need new shocks. Do this at each corner.
Or go to a shop, and they will tell you you need new shocks. It is easy but more exepnsive!
There really is no "normal" shock life span, it varies a lot with use, load and driver.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try bouncing them to see what they have left. Push down as much as you can on one corner of the truck (bumper), release and see what happens. With good shocks, the truck (car) will bounce upward once then go back down to normal height. More up-and-down movement means you need new shocks. Do this at each corner.
Or go to a shop, and they will tell you you need new shocks. It is easy but more exepnsive!
There really is no "normal" shock life span, it varies a lot with use, load and driver.
Thank you, I will give the truck a bounce!

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
The shocks job is to limit bouncing after you hit a bump. If you have a bounce it is time to replace them. You may also notice bad bushings or leaking housings.

Some shocks like nitrogen ones that have a resuvior can be rebuilt.

Now finding the correct shock for the load capacity of the spring can be tricky. To little valving and you will have bouncing to much and it will be stiff. There are books written on this.
If your suspension is stock then replacing them with what Bilstein recommends or the previous shock model number is what I would do.

If you have the previous model number you may be able to get the specs and have more options that have similar specs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts