Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the Rodeo home, but the clutch is shot, along with the master cylinder.

Took it to a shop where I know they do excellent work, but the guy wanted $1,300 to replace the clutch and bearings :eek:

What do you all think should be a good price for having a shop replace a clutch considering I can get the whole clutch set for $200.00.

I'm thinking around $600.00 or so.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a rule about manuals

I dont work on them! :p

I "can" work on them, but anytime I even get near one, I am always shaking my head all the way through it as too how... archaic the design is. I'm an automatic transmission guy, hate manuals!

So yeah, I'm going to be a girly man this time and not waste my one day a week to fix this. No resurfacing a flexplate for me, no aligning, no moving the trans back, nope nope nope.

So like whats a good price if I provide the flywheel and clutch set. Wonder if the starter ring is a part of the flywheel.

·
Banned
431 Posts
i don't blame you, just giving you hell :D

i would say $600 sounds fair errrrr, $400 if you supply the clutch. but they probably wouldn't give you a warranty if you went that route.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only need it to last long enough till I move at the end of this year and then I can throw in the automatic when I have all the space I want to work with :thumbup:

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure you use a high quality NEW matching clutch set. Something like a Borg-Warner unit that includes the pressure plate, disc and release bearing, and pilot bearing. The good sets will include the alignment tool also. Be certain to get the flywheel resurfaced and use the appropriate shim if there is much material removed from the flywheel.

Cheap relined clutches pay off in terms of grinding gears, chattering and a complete waste of money.

There is only one way to do a clutch job, that's the right way.

Cutting corners gets you no where with a clutch job.

Brian

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
Give me the year, make, model, and engine displacement. I can look up flat rate times for you and let you know tomorrow evening. The price per hour that the shop charges will determine the actual cost.

Thirteen hundred bucks sounds a little steep to me. Then again maybe not, as I might not have had the "pleasure" of doing one like yours yet. :drunk: :D

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Then again maybe not, as I might not have had the "pleasure" of doing one like yours yet.

I was quoted $2100.00 to put one in the SHO.I did it myself without a sling.I will never do it again.I'll push it into a rock quarry first.

The Rodeo should not be that bad though.I could be wrong too.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rodeo is not bad at all to do, doesnt even have to be jacked up. Plenty of room under there, there is a dust cover and the rest is all exposed. Dont really have to drop the trans either, just move it back on a stand, or on the frame. It's more painful to change the oil than take the dust cover off because you have to remove the rock shield(I guess you'd call it that) from under the engine bay first to even get to the engine.

I went to another shop that quoted below 1K to do everything and I took it. I really dont have the time or energy to do that, I still have to swap out the exhaust and trans on the cutlass on my 1 day a week off. I know this guy though, he does excellent work... so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts