Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Astro shop truck suddenly lost --Horn --dome light--lighter--and radio?? I've replaced a 30 amp fuse but it blows every time.. Hey we need our radio/ cd.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

You need to find out what's all on that line..

Unplug everything on that fuse line from the device (Radio, Domes,Lighter, Ect..) and with a the fuse removed, measure from the Device of the fuse (the non hot side..) to ground..

If it is infinite, the harness is not shorted. If it reads 000, you need to inspect each wire from that line for a cut or short.

If you have a bunch of 30 amp fuses, you can unplug all the devices, install the fuse, see if it does not blow..If not, plug each item back in until the fuse blows..that is the offending item..repair or disable it.

The usual offender is a shorted lighter socket..(power to ground short in or at the rear of the socket)

What year astro van is it? I'll see if I have a Schematic for it.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

If you give me the year, I'll see if I have a Schematic..to help you trouble shoot with.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doc: It is a 1992 Astro. Our driver said for the past few days when he would put on a turn signal the wipers would come on. ??

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

Sounds like the harness that runs through the steering column is cut and shorting out at the wheel / column moves about..you will need to remove it, and inspect the switch and the harness for shorts.

Or replace it If it all looks really run out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We found a grd. short in the overhead dome reading light. That screwed up all of those things mentioned. Disconnected reading light left dome light and drive it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts