Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I'm new here but not new to muscle cars, but I'm stuck. I have a 72 Chevelle Malibu. I went to start it and when I turned the key there was an instant visible spark from the battery. I turned the key to off, but the starter kept engaging for a few seconds, and it just sounded strange. I tried again and the battery was drained dead. I charged it and tried again with the same result. Now she's been sitting for a long time as I was recovering from an injury. Now I want her on the road again. She's in great shape otherwise and very well maintained and not abused. The ignition was converted to HEI years ago. No electrical work was done prior to this. Does anyone out there have a place for me to start looking. And I'm not the best mechanic so I might need someone to hold my hand a little. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for catching that. A friend and I were talking about 6 volt systems just before writing my question and I intergrated the wrong thought into my question.
Also, the car had been sitting for a while, not driven on the road, and started every week. Then one week it just did this. I hadn't been under the hood or anything other than the day I started it. Just wanted to add the extra info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you got a dead short most likely at the starter. Been setting for a while, have rodents eaten some of the wires?
Thank you 39 Master and 2old2fast. That is a high possibility. When this happened I checked the wires around the starter, but not very good. It's a tight fit in the garage to work on anything because I also have my 67 Camaro and Waverunner puzzled in, not a lot of space. But I will make space now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts