Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.mustangsplus.com/Merchan...FMP&Product_Code=02958&Category_Code=qtrpatch

ok so thats a 65-66 one but the 67-68 one isn't pictured but you get the idea.....

here is the deal....check out the picture i attached of my car's quarter panel...I cut out some rust and am now debating what sort of patch to get...i don't have anymore scrap metal to weld in so thats sort of a bummer....

do you think that patch will work? there some other pin holes to the left of the big hole along the bottom that you cant see...

anyways what do you think...? i can take more and better pics if need be.....

Attachments

·
See project in Photo Album
203 Posts
If you buy the patch you still have to cut it to fit the hole. I would suggest just finding a piece of metal and cutting it to the correct shape. I bought my last piece of 12"x24" 18 ga. at Napa or you can cut the piece out of an old fender from the wrecking yard, or even cut the side out of an old clothes dryer if need be.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BIGSKY said:
If you buy the patch you still have to cut it to fit the hole. I would suggest just finding a piece of metal and cutting it to the correct shape. I bought my last piece of 12"x24" 18 ga. at Napa or you can cut the piece out of an old fender from the wrecking yard, or even cut the side out of an old clothes dryer if need be.

thank you so much i totally forgot i have an old hood back buried in my shed that i could probably use.

how much was the sheet metal from NAPA for that piece though...?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm......lowes is about 2 minutes away from where i am right now.....interesting...very interesting.....is it pretty cheap?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm $10 sounds pretty cheap to me...glad to hear thats "expensive". Beautiful firewall too....i seriously get such a kick out of seeing a piece of metal patched in and how jagged and haggard it looks the it gets grinded down, smoothed out and everything....painted....and it looks like it was stamped like that....like it never happened. i dono why, its just so cool. lol

·
203 Posts
SHIFTY101EASY said:
hmm $10 sounds pretty cheap to me...glad to hear thats "expensive". Beautiful firewall too....i seriously get such a kick out of seeing a piece of metal patched in and how jagged and haggard it looks the it gets grinded down, smoothed out and everything....painted....and it looks like it was stamped like that....like it never happened. i dono why, its just so cool. lol
True $10 isn't much, but that hood you have is FREE!

I agree with you, making something old be shiny again is way fun. So fun that I find myself in the garage until 2am some nights... :drool: !

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been up every night until 3-4 for the past month....im getting more work done in the past few weeks than i have in the last year since i got the car.....the key for me is to just not be afraid of things and go for it and it ends up finally getting done instead of waiting around for having enough money to get it done by pro's. i don't have an air chisel yet so i dono how im going to get the bottom layer of hood separated from the top layer but i will try to figure something out....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the only bummer of staying up so late is that i get up so late...and then miss my "filler opportunities" when the temps are decent for it to cure.

·
203 Posts
SHIFTY101EASY said:
the only bummer of staying up so late is that i get up so late...and then miss my "filler opportunities" when the temps are decent for it to cure.
Yea, I don't have that problem up here, its too cold to cure filler from October to May! Course that's easily remedied by the $100 worth of natural gas through the garage heater each month.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, once i get my pay check and can get up to to harbor freight im gonna buy myself some flood lights and some of those little heaters that look like room fans with no fan blades....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94777

its not really that cold anymore....i can work in my shop/garage without a sweatshirt now....but a few weeks ago it was so cold that like most of the citrus crop in the central valley here in California was essentially ruined i guess? i could see my breath inside.....lol....right then i was like ok forget this, this is frigging' ridiculous....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts