Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbour has a 400 small block chevy that has been sitting for years, the only reason it came out was because of a broken piston. All he wants is $100 for the whole motor, I want it in a s10 with a 700r4 behind it with 4.10 gears. But the fact that is completely froze........Ehhhhhh just asking your guys opinion. I can get the money real easy, but would it be worth it ?.

Go for it ? or Nadda no thank you ?

Thanks for your opinion. Id like the idea of putting a 283 crank in it to get a big bore fast wrapping engine to go along with the 4.10 gears....But Idk lol

Thanks

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
It's worth a try. Hope it hasn't frozen and cracked anywhere. Antifreeze still in it?
The 283 has small 2.30" mains.
68up 302 & 327 has the same size mains as 350, 2.450" which spacers are made to use those cranks in a 400 that has 2.650" mains.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
As said above, tell your neighbor you'll buy it as long as the block checks out ok at the machine shop. This thing could have already been rebuilt and bored .030 over or worse yet .060 or had a sleeve....who knows. If it's a virgin block with no problems then hell yes it's worth a $100......build a 406 with that 700R4 and 4.10 gears.... oh yea, you'll have fun!!

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
if you are super strapped for cash then it may be something worth chasing, but after the $700 of machine work it'll take to put that block back into good shape an SHP block (which is currently on sale) starts to look mighty tempting. factory cores are great for low buck builds but aftermarket blocks are quickly becoming a more valid option in many cases- their cost has gone down while machinists cost have come up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.