Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally found a truck I like, but I'm not sure my wife likes the idea of parting with this one. I called about a "new" one, and will be back with pics soon. It's another '93 Chevy ex-cab 350 4X4 (!!!!) with a 5 speed manual trans (Triple !!!!!)! Not nearly as "pretty as our '97, but trucks aren't supposed to be pretty, are they? It's got 143,000 miles and is on the market for $3,500. I've got no clue what mine's worth. More later.

In a while, Chet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The camera batteries died before I could get any more pics, but here's more info on both trucks

The '93 I'm looking at is 350 powered. So is our '97.
The '93 is 4 wheel drive, our '97 isn't.
Our '97 has the third door, the '93 doesn't. That is a BIG drawback after having the third door.
Our '97 has 163,600 miles on it. The '93 has 143,000.

Our '97 has served us fairly well since I crashed our old '93, but I've absolutely hated having an automatic. They simply DO NOT belong in a real truck. I think of our '97 as a show toy and nothing more. Heck, I've never even hauled a greasy engine in the box of it. Been too afraid to scratch the paint. I can live with a 2wd (I live at the top of a rather large hill in the middle of the city--only really needed 4wd once to get home since Oct '99. 1,000 lbs. of sand does wonders), but man, I feel I need a real truck. Oddly enough, I'd be tickled to death if this '93 had a 4.3. Perfect for my daily driver-in-between-towing duties.

Granted, this '93 has no ABS, dual airbags, or decent reciever hitch (I did keep the Class V from my old '93), and it looks a bit rougher than it should, but I figure this is still an upgrade over what we presently have. Thoughts?

In a while, Chet.

·
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!
299 Posts
Chet, I know you want the 4x4 (and I do agree the stick is a huge bonus) but I can never think of a good reason to go backwards. The truck you are looking at is 4 years older, that mean 4 more winters than your truck, and you know how much that means up there! The mileage is a moot point. Another factor is the 1997 is more reliable, had the ABS & is in better condition. Plus you're '97 has the OBDII computer and far more advanced electronics.

If your truck is still as nice as it was when I saw it a couple of years ago I'd say it's worth $5,000-$5,500.

I know I'm sounding a BIT negative but I'm just telling it how I see it. My advise is to save up some $$$ and when you find a nice truck with lower miles, buy it and sell your current one. Around here $6000 can get you a 96-97 F250 V8 4x4 with less than 100,000mi.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Buying truck

Keep both trucks I think that's a good price for it how many owners has it had how rough is the body and frame? I agree with novaman your truck is newer you just might be buying somebodys else's lemon I think you should just come to TEXAS and buy my 4X4 Burb for $1500.00 if you want to mess around in the snow, mud,. Good luck!

·
Banned
6 Posts
You must be in red neck country. Why would you sell a 97 and buy a 93, most people I know want to move forward in life, you will be spending money to go back-wards. I guess thats the way it's done in the good old boy red-neck country. Later

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Emil, believe it or not, our '97 is actually I believe better now than it was then. Aside from the ding from a rock in the front fender, and a slight scrape in a running board, it has seen religious oil changes using Wix filters every 2,800 miles, way too regular washings (IMO) (my old '93 saw 2- maybe 3 actual scrub-down washings and several hose-offs per year-- this thing is totally top-to-bottom washed every 3-4 weeks), new plugs-- at $5.50 each, fluid flushes, the works. When we got it, the power mirror switch was broke, the oil pressure gauge would get the shakes, and the wipers didn't work. I've fixed all that, and changed the brakes, starter, alt, battery, clutch fan, and even 5 or six water pumps. I did most all the same to my old truck in 7 years. All this has been in less than 2. I keep thinking "what's next?" Plus, I was told after the other truck crash that it had too many miles for it's age to be fixed. This truck has 2 thousand less miles and is 4 years newer. One fender ding (with the airbags going off), and this truck is gone as well. That's where milage is a deciding factor for me.

All this has further been fueled by a door lock that gave me fits when it dipped into the single digits. I figured "dealer only". A couple minutes later, I had the same dealer tell me I'd get $1,200 -$1,500 tops as a trade in. I got the last laugh when I told the salesman I must've gotten screwed at $5,500 2 years back. He says, "Yeah, you sure did." with a huge grin across his face. He lost all color, however, when I told him it rolled off their lot 2 years ago. He went speechless. Must've been hard to pull a size 13 shoe from a size 3 mouth.

Really, I'd be fine with another 2wd. It's the standard in an extended cab that is a must-have in our household. I keep checking with all the local GM dealers, and they all tell me I can't buy a truck like that. GM can't and won't, they say. I just don't get it. Ford does, Dodge does, Nissan does, so does Toyota. So why not? They'll pack in leather interiors, heated seats and all the bells and whistles a real truck doesn't need, but will not cater to what a truck buyer wants.

OBD-II may be great if I really felt comfortable working with it, but for now it's all a foriegn language to me. Too many electrical problem possibilities as I see them. I know I need to advance my knowledge in dealing with it, but I guess I'm cemented into the old school foundation. I figure I shouldn't need a computer to tell me which sensor decided to quit. Honestly, I get the feeling that my truck thinks more than I do. But I do see exactly what you are saying.

GMC, finances wouldn't allow both trucks, and neither would parking space. it's one or the other. Unfortunately. The two trucks are probably a dead even for being possible lemons. Our '97 has more surface rust (right above the tail pipe only), but the rest of it just shines. Granted, it is rather dirty right now. I'd probably sell it for $5,000, nothing lower than $4,500, though, just because it's a 2wd. And, I figure the other truck is priced about right at $3,200 to $4,000. It looks like it has held it's own quite well for it's age. The grille is flaking, but that's pretty minor to me.

This is really tough, and I know it's ultimately our descision, but all the input I can get is greatly appreciated.

In a while, Chet.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rat Rod said:
You must be in red neck country. Why would you sell a 97 and buy a 93, most people I know want to move forward in life, you will be spending money to go back-wards. I guess thats the way it's done in the good old boy red-neck country. Later

Sort of, yes, it's redneck country. The '97 just came along when we really needed a truck, and it fit the bill. Realistically, I've felt like the automatic was the reverse step. I've known forever a 2wd is never "worth" as much as a 4wd, and yet I'm pleased most of the time with 2 wheel power. Actually, I could possibly gain a bit monotarily by selling our '97 for more than I could buy the '93 for. It's all in how it all plays out. Our '97 gets on average 13-14 per gallon, even after new plugs. According to the last Autozone free scan, all systems are just fine. I know that cannot possibly be right. My old '93 was driven tons harder, pulled more and larger loads, and still steadily returned better milage all with a smaller engine. Maybe the '97 needs a chip and some tuning that I just can't seem to do. Thanks for the input.

In a while, Chet.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,258 Posts
Well Chet......I am an old southern redneck...and I am not going to tell you what to do.....but I will tell you what I would do. I would keep the 97 while I saved up a little money...then I would buy a 2000 -2002 and pay cash for the difference. You can find a Chevy with standard trans.... All the farmers around here drive them.....anyway thats what I would do. I drive a 99 Silverado Z-71 extended cab that I bought new. It is 4X4 and has the 5.3 engine and auto matic trans. I get 19 miles per gallon with it and it will handle a trailer really good....plenty of power. I love it. Later, HH

·
oldsmobile compatible
166 Posts
While I can appreciate the trucks you're looking at, Chet, I wonder if you've considered diesel. I know you can't "rod 'em out" like you can a 350, but I have a cousin who swears by them. Seem to last a lot longer than gas engines, but he puts on a lot of highway miles as he lives 40 mins. out of town.

Anyone else have an opinion on chevy diesels (if that's an option, chet. no hijacking intended.)

Paul.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Henry, are any of the newer ones around you extended cab manual trucks? I know I can get a new Silverado regular cab with a stick, but I have yet to find an extended with one. When we were looking for a truck before (when we bought our first one-- the '93), I told the salesman it had to be extended cab, and a stick. I wouldn't give an inch on either of those two options. 2 or 4wd made no difference, V6 or V8 made no difference. Air, cruise, tilt, didn't matter. That's where this '93 has me. I like knowing I've got the solid control of a hard pulling load. (Mikey, pull your mind out of the gutter--I know what you're thinking.... :rolleyes: ). Grabbing another gear when you need it is a priceless feeling.

In a while, Chet.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,258 Posts
Yes they are extended cabs...that and the 4 door crew cabs are about all they run around here....hardly ever see a regular cab anymore. Most of them are like me and prefer automatics...but I have seen a few 5 speed sticks.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,258 Posts
You can go to kellysbluebook dot com and find out what your 97 is worth or anything else that you want to look up. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paul, I really like the Duramax's. I've even put up a link to a modded Duramax that put out around 850 hp and ungodly amounts of torque. Probably the best thing GM did was start using those diesels as an option IMO.

Henry, I guess it's time to look at another GM dealer for a truck. I figured there was zero hope after 3 dealers told me nope, can't do it. Maybe I should save a big 'ole pile and just plop out cash for what I want in my truck. I've got an uncle that does that every 6 years.

Thanks,

In a while, Chet.

·
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!
299 Posts
Chet, you are now thinking better :)

Your best move is probably to save up another $5,000 and sell your current truck next year so you can plop $10,000 in a newer truck with what you want in it. (v8 4x4, extended cab, etc) Remember, beggars cannot be choosers. Shouldn't be too difficult if you have $3500 to drop right now. $30 a week for a year gets you $1,500. $50/wk = $2500 in a year.

$1500(savings)+$3500(instead of beater)+$5000(current truck) = $10,000 for a nice 4x4! Just hang in there, you'll be much happier that way ;)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I talked to a buddy of mine from work today about the '93. Turns out, he not only looked at it, but test drove it about 2 weeks ago. He said the clutch has about 6 months (big deal--it's probably factory yet). He said it drove well, but he figures the trans is about to go south. It started to pull out of second gear twice on his test drive. Not impressed by that. A new trans is $1300 in our area (plus labor of course...) He also said the bottom of the ex-cab had about 50 lbs of body mud on each side when he pulled the inside storage out for a closer look. Now it looks like I'll be passing on this truck. Bummer. There'll be another. Thanks for the info and all the thoughts, guys.

In a while, Chet.

·
30 Ford 5 Window
61 Posts
DANG MAN!!!!!!! I have no clue what they make trucks out of around in Wisconsin...Gold? Maybe the New England area is just flooded with trucks of that era with medium to high mileage... but that sure seems ALL the money!

Take a plane to New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts or Maine for a weekend with a pocket full of cash and drive something home. I know it's a Dodge... but I just sold a 94' Dodge 2500 with 188,000 on it , that I myself bought new in 94' and drove for 9 years and it has sat around since... just sold that about 2 months ago for $1800 and was happy to get it around here without driving it South.

I know trucks are like Gold down in the North woods of Florida area...but had no idea it was the same way towards the West. I learned quick.... drive a $1,000 4x4 South and turn it into $3,500 QUICKLY... buy a $3,000 car there and easily unload it back up here for $5-6,000.

·
30 Ford 5 Window
61 Posts
auto... I was one of the lucky ones I guess... it was closing in on 200K without ever having an issue with the trans. I only did the fluid and filter once on it around 76K.

I have heard some horror stories about people with autos in them.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Most (in fact all but one that I personally know of in fact) have had serious problems with the Dodge transmissions. And they are made worse by heavy towing or snowplowing, apparently. I just want a standard and an extended cab. Kinda bummed by this one.....

Emil, I wasn't just going to stop at $3,500 as a down payment for a newer truck. Unless something drastic happens (another crash or I find a newer truck that has what I have to have), I'll be holding my pennies 'till I hit $35,000 so I can buy exactly the truck I want.

In a while, Chet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts