Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been pondering the idea of putting a side exhaust on my 69 mustang and im not sure if this is a good idea or if it is even possible. I would just appreciate some feedback on it. If anyone has an experience to share on theirs or if they would have just some helpful tips on a better idea please help me out.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Side Pipes

Many moons ago I ran them on my 70 Mach I. I don't even remember the brand but I ordered them from a local speed shop in S.Carolina and had a muffler shop to install them. They looked good but you had to keep them clean & waxed on about a 3 times a week basis which I did not mind back then but after about a year they started looking rough so I went back to the muffler shop, had them removed and a good exhaust system ran. That was my first & last experience with side pipes. I still think they look good on some vehicles but for the money spent I wish I had have went to the performance dual exhaust system to start with.
I think it is just a matter of choice.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have lake pipes on my '50 Plymouth in my album- look cool (to me!) but not functional- just cosmetic. Had functional side pipes on my '66 Chevelle- looked great, sounded great, although LOUD... front end was lowered- rear raised (this was in the late 70's!) and I did bottom them out on high speed turn-arounds (just a kid then!) I loved them but they are a dated look- depends on what you are going for but they are a good head-turner for a high performance vehicle IMO...:thumbup:

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
I put a set on a 53 chevy

Had a pair of side pipes off my 69 chevell laying around and needed and exhaust system for the 53 so why not?? For a picture look in my gallery...the rear shot of the 53 shows them.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
134 Posts
A long time ago I was watching a parade. It was an overcast day and off in the distance I thought I heard rolling thunder.....well I sorta did, it was a maroon impala with keystones and those jc whitney type sidepipes. When he'd roll off of them, it had a pretty cool sound which I mistook for an incoming storm.

I ordered a set of sidepipes for my chevelle, however the jc whitney guys misinformed me about the size of the baffle part so I decided to send them back. I suppose a long rod and a big hammer would've taken care of that, but I dont think I need 3" exhaust quite yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the info.

Id like to thank everyone for there experience. Sounds like i might just do the dated look just for the simple fact that the classic never dies. If anyone has questions on anything just shoot me an email. Ill try to post some pics of my progress on my stang as it is an ongoing process of fixing it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
side pipes

I'd like to see a picture of them on a 66 chevelle. Do they come in 4"?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have had side pipes on a couple of cars, and I can tell you that the constant noise from them is enough to drive you batty.
I don't need side pipes, gear drives or short flowmasters ever again in my life...That cool sound turns to headache inducing noise in just a few miles...
If you like the look, Patriot sells some that you can install as dummies.... www.pertronix.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts