Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to 2old and '48 Austin.
On their advice, I will order the Patriot side pipe with muffler (size to be decided later). I think a longer 3" muffler is better than a 12" x 3.5" insert. I don't love the heat shields. The slits may look fine on a Corvette but wrong for a Model-A. There are polished stainless shields with round holes in several lengths made bt Riker (for trucks).
Next problem:
How do I connedt the Patriot tube to my headers ? My header is from Speedway- SBF Tight Fit in polished stainless steel. If you look on Speedway under headers you can see the outlet which has a convex (bowed out) shape. Is there a connector to fasten them together ? There are three holes for bolts- but to what ? I imagine that the two parts could be welded but I would prefer to alloow for a little movement. I would appreciate any advice.
It sounds a little wussy but I don't love pulling a trailer (with my precious Model-A) through city traffic. The custom exhaust shops are in downtown Phoenix an hour away.
Buzz (MoonBat)

·
More for Less Racer
20,941 Posts
The headers appear to be a ball and cone socket flange style connection, which is becoming more common than the old flat 3 or 4 bolt flange that takes a gasket....the ball and cone is gasketless, allows misalignment or positioning, and allows for flex without losing seal.
The flanges they sent you pinches the cone to the ball....the flange ends up about 1/2" or so away from coming up tight to the flange welded on the header.
Or did yours not come with the street hook-up parts?

Basically the same idea as a stock manifold and pipe.

As far as connecting the header to the sidepipe, ou just have to get creative with either some custom bent piping or buy one of the universal fit-up kits of U-bends and Elbows and fab it up just like building headers...cut and paste.

Welding is going to be required.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The headers appear to be a ball and cone socket flange style connection, which is becoming more common than the old flat 3 or 4 bolt flange that takes a gasket....the ball and cone is gasketless, allows misalignment or positioning, and allows for flex without losing seal.
The flanges they sent you pinches the cone to the ball....the flange ends up about 1/2" or so away from coming up tight to the flange welded on the header.
Or did yours not come with the street hook-up parts?

Basically the same idea as a stock manifold and pipe.

As far as connecting the header to the sidepipe, ou just have to get creative with either some custom bent piping or buy one of the universal fit-up kits of U-bends and Elbows and fab it up just like building headers...cut and paste.

Welding is going to be required.
Eric,
Thanks for your help. I'm an old hot rodder (back in the 50's) and this new stuff is pretty confusing. It IS an education tho.
Buzz (MoonBat

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.