Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Chevy pickup with a 6.0 Gas motor. I put duals with 3 1/2 inch pipes and a K&N intake kit on it. I was told to also change the chip. Is that a good idea and if so what chip company will be the best without hurting my motor.

Thanks Bob

·
Registered
199 Posts
Please describe your exhuast system in more detail. I hope you're just talking about 3.5" tips...

I would skip a chip, they usually require premium gas.

·
Registered
393 Posts
A chip will improve power but does require premium fuel. I know where benwantland is headed. A too big exhaust system will hurt power not improve it.

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,411 Posts
dittio with the large exhaust, the new cars & trucks have a built-in chip that needs a programmer sold at most catalog and parts stores to re-program the computer.
Plus you need to open up the breathing to help any performance.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
I hope you mean 3 1/2" tips. 2 1/4" is about all you need. A single 3.5" pipe would work. But 3 1/2 duals are to big.

For computer reprogrammers check out Jet Performance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just about every chip or programmer on the market changes the timing and increases the fuel mixture. This in return makes more power and requires premium (93octane) due to the increased timing. If you find a chip that doesn't require premium fuel it probably doesn't gain very much power. :nono:

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
When you buy the Jet programmer you can chose between a setting that allows you to run 87 or 93. You can program back and fourth if you get tired of paying for high test, it will even program you stock settings back in.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Hypertech also carries a line of programmers for most late model trucks and cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts