Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know if loose terminal posts on starter soleniod could cause wires going to the coil to heat up enough to smoke? I quikly disconnected when I seen it only happened when ign switch was on. I thought maybe bad solenoid but relizied my posts where loose. I snuged them up and reconnected and turned the ing switch enough for idoit lights to appear and only felt a little warmth nothing close to before. My ? is is there going to be some warm on the wires connecting to the postive side of the coil from starter is that normal when ign switch is on. 73 chevy 350 points set up stock starter and solenoid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ranrodder

Any loose connection in your electrical system will cause resistance and that cases heat. Even though you caught it early before anything burned up behind the cover in the solenoid the contact could be burned and cause resistance and cause future problems. On distributors with points if you don't have a resistor going to the coil (12 volts to 6 ro 8 volts) if the points are closed and making contact they will get hot and burn them up pretty quick. Any loose connection, burned contacts, even corroded connections causes resistance which draws high amps and that is heat. Also a short or grounded positive wire will heat up. If you have a high amp fully charged battery something is going to fry!!!!!!
Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.