Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a couple scratches to fill, and did a search on glaze, and found most people on here are against the single part glaze, and are pro catalyzed glaze.

my question is how much different would it be, i have a tube of the single part glaze allready, but don't wanna cheap out at this stage and use something if it's going to give me poor results. I have some deeper scratches that i would like to fill, and just wondering what the options would be.

Will regular filler work applied as you would glaze at a sharp angle to the panel, or will it not bond well enough to the surrounding filler when it's a small application (just in the scratch not skimed over the whole area)?

how much does the glaze shrink? does it fall out when it shrinks, or just leave crack marks or something?

the one scratch is on a bodyline i've spent about a week straightening and now sanding to be curved perfect, so sanding the whole area down and re-filling is not my most favorable option.

thanks again for the help guys

·
Registered
533 Posts
*my personal opinion only from my experiences- gotta be careful I don't offend anyone!*
In my opinion, the catalyzed glaze or 'spot putty' is much better due to less shrinkage, more stability, and being less affected by solvents. I have seen where the old laquer red spot putty melted with the application of the primer/surfacer due to solvent issues. I have also seen where the old spot putty has shrunk causing a 'drop out' or lower area over time- noticed more at an angle in the sun. New technology isn't always better, but in this case I think it is!! My own personal suggestion would be the catalyzed- you can get smaller amounts with some manufacturers- test compatibility with your other solvents if you want to be failproof. I hope I was of some help- good luck!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.