Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..my buddy painted some parts with single stage paint. But he forgot to add activator or hardener. My guess is the paint will never dry...so it will be impossible to sand without clogging sand paper. What steps can be taken to cure this or if it cannot what would be the best way to take the paint off?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
NONONO,this will never work,Itried it ...I've done the same thing waaaay back ....firsrt of all if its enamal or acrilic enamel it will get hard.Urathane WONT...wash it of with laquer thinner and wear latex gloves...and while your thinking how could have made such a dumb mistake be thankful its not a whole car .....then have a good laugh at me because I did it twice .....to the same car when I was 16yrs old :eek: :eek: :eek: spraying over uncured paint will only make it wrinkle and you'll have more to get off... :nono:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Like bodyman mentioned, if enamel you may be okay, since this is an air dry system, with the option of adding a hardener. But without the hardener it will stay soft longer, have a lower gloss level then if a hardener were added, and buffing will be difficult as it could be literally years before the paint hardens all the way through. Repairs in the future could also be very difficult without lifting.
If a urethane or polyurethane system, it must come back off, it will never cure.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
dont feel bad, a couple months ago my new painter used the SPI clear I use for the first time,its 1:1 and after using primer thats 4:1 and sealer thats 4;1 its real ez to mix the clear 4:1 by mistake...I know... I did it, and it took a long time to dry but he used epoxy as a sealer 1;1 and mixed it 4:1 based it and cleared it at 4;1 insted of 1;1 the next day it wasnt dry and I asked him if he mixed it 4:1 ...he looked like a dear in the headlights 30 yrs as a painter ...We laughed our as's off like little girls.It happens dont sweat it.These are pics of the sealer base and clear all coming up at once since the sealer was mixed wrong to it was fairly ez.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.