Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I have a question here and today I have been having to fix a leak from my radiator and noticed that my mechanical fan I am using that one of the aluminum fins has a big gouge in it and its a racing fan that is a non flex type and I don't use flex fans anymore. Anyways I have wondered and have seen 4 blade fans that were used on oem engines long ago and if anyone asks no I can't use a clutch fan as no room since s10 swap deal and rad is already forward.

Below are the two fans I am looking at. The six blade is like the one on my truck right now but the only difference is the fins are aluminum and not steel like the one below. I don't want to use aluminum fins anymore and risk something flying off and breaking. I know the weight savings but I am not racing this thing. Which one do you think would flow more air or would it not be much of a difference? I know blade pitch has an effect on things but I am not an expert on the stuff. I just know the deeper it is the more flow.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,821 Posts
I wouldn't use either.
AllStar has the 4 blade fan in 32' pitch. use that one as it's a copy of the original Gm four blade fan.
It's better than either of those. The speedway fan is only 28 pitch.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I already got a 6 blade fan as I need to get this thing a go cause I need to get it broken in but I will be getting a 4 blade fan to have on stand by just in case what will give me the best results. Its winter time in Ohio and I will be parking her for the time being while I get the radiator leak fixed and few other things with what I am able to do without someone else having to do for me.

I just went ahead and got a 4 blade fan as well and work with both next year and see what makes me the best results and work with what works the best for me. I just wish I understood more about fan pitch and know about the degrees.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Run a clutch fan or run electric fans.

You want the engine to run around 195 to 205F. You want it to get up to temp fast and hold that temp. Having even a 4 blade turning all the time can "over cool" the engine having the thermostat doing a open/closed/open/closed dance with you running 160 down the highway and 200 in traffic.

The engine oil temp is more important then coolant temp. Having the coolant/oil temp doing swings means the viscosity is doing swings.

If you run 2 electric fans you can offset the motors and have them closer to the engine then the waterpump pulley. It also "frees" up some horsepower.

You can have one come on at a very specific temperature then use a timed "delay" relay to have the 2nd fan come on 5-10 seconds later.

This lets you use a single controller and lessens the load as your not having both fans hitting at once.

Here us a example of a "headlight delay relay" that gives a 10 second delay while giving 30 amps.

30 amps should be enough for most fans using one relay per motor. But if you have some fans that absolutly require 40amps then you can easily have the controller send power to the 30amp delay relay that then sends power to a 40 amp relay(after 10 seconds) so the fan is running at 40 amps.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't use a clutch fan as it will not clear as the fan is already so close to the radiator the clutch part won't clear and it hits the radiator as I have been there and done that. Cooling s10's with v8's is not easy on the idle part because of certain things and the later model s10's are way more troublesome then the older first gen models because which had slightly more under hood space etc. I don't have that bad of issues of what my current setup is. its just my fan got dinged and I had to replace it and just wanted to get the better flowing fan.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Using the complete Ford Taurus or Windstar electric fan and shroud is a cheap option to try, since there a quite a few in the junkyard. Even new ones are not that expensive. They have plenty of cooling capacity for an SBC. From the junkyard make sure you also get the relays and controller wiring so that you don’t have to buy separately.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have read about the Ford Taurus electric fan and also the Dodge late 90's electric fans and stuff but I don't and am not a fan of the electric stuff and stick with my mechanical fan. Yeah it has some drawbacks but I am able to manage it for the most part without to much issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.