Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Keen learner.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I have stripped my daily driver down to bare metal and about to spray epoxy primer as per everyone's much appreciated guidance here in my thread www.hotrodders.com/forum/tips-how-avoid-rust-when-wet-sanding-407266.html
But I have a question, Is it possible to skip the 2k primer altogether and just go to paint on top of the epoxy? with in the recoat window or after sanding it ofcourse?
The reason am asking this is because the car is 95% straight and I thought
to just 2k prime the bits that need straightening, block sand and spray top coat.
Ive also read somewhere that the less 2k primer the better for paint duabilty. Is it True from you guys experience?
durability is what I am after in my project here :)
Any help and guidance is much appreciated.
Brook.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
absolutely, As a matter of fact it increases the durability.
I use a sandable epoxy and usually have no need for any other primers. I'll use the 2k (urethane) primers when I need a quick turn around like for collision work but my restos only get epoxy. I paint over epoxy primer too its a great sealer.

·
Keen learner.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for thr reply deadbodyman, that was I was hoping to hear :):)
I plan on spraying 3 good wet coats of epoxy primer, then 3 coats of single stage paint. I will probably need to sand between the two to level any orange peel and imperfections.
Do you think its a good way to go?? I plan on cutting and buffing too.
I very much appreciate the help again. Cheers.
Brook

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
sounds good. but in my experience every time I think something is perfectly straight I'm always disappointed ,it always needs something.
there always something hiding on you somewhere and the only way to get all the dings and blemishes out is to guide coat and block. try 2-3 heavy coats of epoxy then a light guide coat, block with 180 and if nothing shows up give it a final coat or two and finish it with 400. But you should expect some slight finishing putty work. When you buy your epoxy make sure it sands easy, some don't like to be sanded.

·
Keen learner.
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got you deadbodyman.The process makes sense.
I don't have a guide coat to spray but I think the powder will do.
Thanks for the tip, I know what you mean. I will take my time and try not to miss any thing.
Thanks again,Cheers!
Brook

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Cheap, flat black primer, in a rattle can, sprayed from 3 or feet away makes a real good quide coat. Get just enough coverage that you can see it on the primer. That's all you need.
Mark

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
i use pounce powder . cheap and easy to use.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
LOL, I almost bought some dry guide coat the other day I was thinking of you, I just couldn't get myself to shell out the cash, too cheap. You know what they say about old dogs.:mwink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts