Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Their 383 rotating kits looks good to me for the price and they are suppose to balance them also. I'm curious if anyone has used any of their rotating assemblies or machine shop work. I'm guessing they are like any other company, some things happen that displeases some and something's work out good for the others.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have purchased may items from Skip White. However whan a small company expands at a expotential rate, problems will present themselves when demand exceeds the company's ability to keep stock and get the product out to customers at a reasonable time. So yes, growing pains exist, but they do an adequate job in attempting to satisfy the consumer.
Other major companies like Summit are at the point that while they express that they care about the customer, the opposite is true. The search engine has become so complicated that it no longer assists the customer, I can only imagine that millennial management staff are involved. Example: Attempt to search for a SBC oil pump bolt and you will be directed to all other content that does not apply, but you can't find something as simple as a oil pump bolt. While I like Summit, their commitment to the customer, no longer exists.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,821 Posts
Any company.....It's a numbers game. When your small you can more easily control the outcomes. When your big, you have to rely on the processes and those processes work well for most people but when a situaiton occurs that outside the norm is when the trouble starts.
Imagine processing a million orders a day, 100,000 or 1 percent, of those are in the relm of outside the typical and if even half of those are extra complicated, that's 50k orders a DAY that gets messed up and upsets people and that's a VERY small percentage. Unhappy people complain to everyine while perfectly happy people don't say anything or only tell a few. That's a lot of internet garbage floating around.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
No matter what you buy, balanced, not balanced, Skip White, Jegs, Summit, Competition Products, Speedway, etc, you need to have the tools and ability to measure and re-check everything or have a trusted machine shop that will do it for you. I wouldn't consider accepting their claim to balance. But it's easy for me to check because of a guy local to me that is reputable x10. And if he had to rebalance my 'balanced' rotating assembly that just bought, then I'd have him complete the balance job and say 'thank you'.

Skip White's 383 kits are a great bargain. Spend another $300 and make sure it's right. Or save your $300 hope :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
I stay away from kits as much as possible, but whenever I go with a kit I get them unbalanced and have that done locally after I’m done clearancing rods if they need it. I like to build around 6 inch, cap bolt rods as they often don’t require carving to miss cam lobes, that said it happens. But I have an advantage that all my building since a teenager has been in or near enough to drive to large metro areas where machine shops and balance emporiums were reasonable common, especially 30 years and more ago.

For street builds where your trying to hold cost down then I lean toward 5.7 rods and pistons and go with external balance again after the rods have been massaged for clearance.

I try for anything short of full out racing to stick with 4340 rods that are as light as possible. The Chevy crank is configured for a counter balance of about 1800 grams max. A forged crank can carry a more and that is typical versus a cast crank.

Balancing involves the whole crank assembly including damper and flywheel or flex plate for either method.

I’ve had several parts over the years like dampers, flywheels, clutches, flex plates and converters to crank assemblies that were sold as balanced that were far from it. So as I said preciously, living in a large metro area there are local shops that do balancing for which I take advantage of. Certainly if such shops are not reasonably available then you have to get a pre balanced kit and hope for the best.

Bogie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any one ever use them? Read alot of bad reviews on customer service. They have a 383 rotating assembly I like just would want a good experience. Thanks
I had them build a 572 for me last year, granted this was not a "Kit", and cannot say enough good things about these folks. Joey was very accessible (sometimes he'd pick up the phone even after hours, but he'd always return a call or email within 24 hours) Built one bad ass BBC, that makes gobs of torque and more horsepower than I expected!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The only thing I ever bought from them was an aluminum power steering pump bracket for a small block. It was poorly designed and didn't fit well, and of course the jerk on the phone told me that I was the only one who ever had a problem with it. Ended up buying an Alan Grove bracket kit, which worked perfectly.

Do they still advertise their products using every over-hyped description known to mankind, all ALL CAPS WITH LOTS OF EXLAMATION POINTS? I say runaway, runaway! Check out SCAT instead.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have purchased may items from Skip White. However whan a small company expands at a expotential rate, problems will present themselves when demand exceeds the company's ability to keep stock and get the product out to customers at a reasonable time. So yes, growing pains exist, but they do an adequate job in attempting to satisfy the consumer.
Other major companies like Summit are at the point that while they express that they care about the customer, the opposite is true. The search engine has become so complicated that it no longer assists the customer, I can only imagine that millennial management staff are involved. Example: Attempt to search for a SBC oil pump bolt and you will be directed to all other content that does not apply, but you can't find something as simple as a oil pump bolt. While I like Summit, their commitment to the customer, no longer exists.
The changes to the summit site sucks, I tell them everytime i call. I was thinking of starting a thead to get feedback because I thought it was only me

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I still like printed , hold in your hand catalogs , sadly , I'm afraid those days are gone !:cry:
Ya know , google can search the net & get millions of results in less than a second , It takes this website 20+ seconds to load a few emojis ........really sad !!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have never tried Skip White, but I use Summit quite a bit. I agree, people, getting around on their site can be a real challenge, depending on what you're looking for. I've had to get pretty creative at times to find what I was looking for.

On customer service: When I worked in construction an old man told me something that always stuck with me. He said "If you can make one customer happy, they might tell five people. But, if you piss one off, they'll tell a hundred people".

When you're in customer service these odds are not in your favor. I'll be the first to say I have had excellent customer service from Summit. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones....

·
apprentice geezer
47 Posts
Bought aluminum water pump from Skip White. Checked all back cover bolts before installing, all tight. Installed, leaks from back cover. Contacted Skip White, asked if checked rear cover bolts, told I did. Response was "we don't make them, we just sell them". Offered to replace pump soon as I got it back to them (my expense to return) and would do nothing re r&r time (book time was 3.0hrs). Did not return. Removed rear cover - gasket was torn. Called back, assumed no responsibility for gasket, same offer as before. Disputed purchase with credit card co. Bought std iron pump from NAPA, installed, no problems. Threw aluminum pump in trash.
My first & last experience with Skip White!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Bought aluminum water pump from Skip White. Checked all back cover bolts before installing, all tight. Installed, leaks from back cover. Contacted Skip White, asked if checked rear cover bolts, told I did. Response was "we don't make them, we just sell them". Offered to replace pump soon as I got it back to them (my expense to return) and would do nothing re r&r time (book time was 3.0hrs). Did not return. Removed rear cover - gasket was torn. Called back, assumed no responsibility for gasket, same offer as before. Disputed purchase with credit card co. Bought std iron pump from NAPA, installed, no problems. Threw aluminum pump in trash.
My first & last experience with Skip White!
Why didn't you cut a new gasket or use a modern gasket maker ?

·
apprentice geezer
47 Posts
simple... attitude of seller (we just sell em) I refuse to r&i, and repair new parts that are defective first time out of box, got my refund, skip did not get pump back. new one worked fine. done deal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.