Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Caprice Classic wagon, cherry condition, but has a well worn weak 307. Want to put a built 350 in it, smog is not an issue, dump the ecm stuff, with headers and 350 turbo trans. See any major problems with this idea??

·
Registered
33 Posts
sounds like fun.if you could get your hands on a big block though you would get more bang for your buck,seeing as your wagon probably goes 4500 plus pounds :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
The one real advantage with the wagon body is that the front to rear weight ratio is excellent for drag racing.

A friend is building a 1962 Belair wagon with a 350 Chevy with about 380 horsepower.

Our program is reporting 13.76-second 1/4 mile times aided by the weight distribution.

You can see the PC HOTROD Performance Report at the following location:

http://pchotrod.com/Clients.htm

Wagons can be quick....

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was going through the same thrash ie 350/454 and after considering the price of parts to build a 350, it's worth a little extra to built a 454. As I understand it, the 454 is a little heavier and two inches longer from the front mounts forward, but the end result in the performance dept. make it worth it. What I intend to do is buy an old rusted out Suburban, or wagon with the 454, part it out, use what I can, then sell or junk the rest of it. It's amazing how much cheaper it is to buy an old car complete than it is to buy just an engine. Good Luck!

·
Registered
188 Posts
A 500 caddy will drop right in too, they are DIRT Cheap, and they make brutal torque, like over 500 lb/ft IN STOCK FORM! perfect wagon motor!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for reply!! Like the info and the Cadillac is a good idea. I know where i can get my hands on one!! Going to check it out. Thanks!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will the Chevy trans bolt up to the Cadillac engine or do I have to use the Caddy. Or what do you think is best???

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Caddy motor will reguire a Caddy trans case. I would recommend that you find either a TH400 or 700R if you chose to go with the Caddy setup
good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a 1991 Cadillac engine with trans (8.0L) Do not know much about the engines it has some wierd looking valve cover though!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
im talking 70-74 caddy 500s, but the modern DOHC northsar like ur looking at is another possibility, but caddy never made anything like an 8 liter, I think the Northstar is more like 6 L... I think that is what ur looking at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
there are saveral companys around that adapt many different style trannys to many different motors. infact i knew of a guy who ran a turbo 400 behind his 426 hemi in a volkswagon bus. i think one company is called trans adapt but dont qoute me on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
me personaly i would stick with the 307 block and crank and get a set of camel heads or fuely heads and a good cam and a nice intake. game over you have one bad *** sleeper right there and it all fits nicley under the hood and you only spent about $900 dollars for everything you need. giving the fact that you find those heads and there in good condition.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi again, sorry, made mistake on year of Cadillac engine, it is a 1981 8.0L. This one may be suitable for the swap. but also still thinking about chev. for power. Your ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Naw, you dont want an 81, they were crap, you want either a 70-74 429/500 or a mid 90s Nothstar DOHC. The 307 is worthless, because of the small bore... assuming .030 over with a 350 crank would get you 333 cubes, but It would take custom pistons and it still wouldnt breathe for crap... get a 350...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the info. Think I will pass on the Caddy idea and go for a big block. Have a lead on a 427 to look at. Or go with a 350, at least all the aircon stuff wont be hard to get back on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
WAIT WAIT WAIT don't give up on the Caddy yet! I was about to put one together about 5 years ago but other things came around. It's still in my future.......
Check out <a href="http://www.cad500parts.com/" target="_blank">http://www.cad500parts.com/</a>
This is an awesome business. They've been around for a while and they have everything from mild to wild. Surf it for a while, everybody. Check out the wheels up '69 de Ville! Build a Caddy! 8.2 liters of luxo American balls! Yes! Yes! Yes!

[ May 26, 2002: Message edited by: ahilsinger ]</p>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts