Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can u sleeve a 454 the block already has a .040 over bore (recently done)
didn see the block yet but 1 cil has a hole in it.

and Wat's the max you can bore it

thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, you should be fine. I threw a rod, and got it bored and sleeved and it came out fine. It's a little chunked and the bottom of the cylinder but it should run the same

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok thanks
but how much can u bore it over with out hard block

will it be save with a sleeve to get some performance in the 400/450hp range

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I have sleeved dozens of Big blocks. Tell the shop you want at least a .125 wall sleeve for a 4.300 bore. A common sleeve about seven inches long. I can't remember the stock no. (Geezeritis). This will finish out to the .040 that you have and have plenty of strength.

Tho most places "Short fill" .125 over Big blocks. I have raced and run them on the street with no filler and had no problems. If you have access to sonic checking, that would be the only positive way th check wall thickness.

Some blocks have core shift and some cylinders are rather thin between the cylinders. I have bored a few blocks to 4.440 for sleeve and still had around .100 on the thrust side of cylinder before install of the sleeve.

I am doing a marine block for myself at this time. Got the block cheap on Ebay, local pickup and just needed a sleeve. Walls were thin on this block. So to insure that I had good strength. I ordered and installed a Darton .250 wall sleeve. Thats a 4.755 OD. Needless to say VERY LITTLE original wall left on thrust sides (.060 maybe) and none between cylinders.

This is going to be in a .060 over with 4.375 stroke. Blown, hot street motor for my 47 Stude P'up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts