Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have begun investigating tire options for street and strip use. The more I inquire the more questions arise. Does anyone know a good site for drag race tire use?

Bias vs Radial slicks?

Brand name vs cost?

Can a street cheater slick work on the strip?

The car is about 3,000 lbs The engine produces 1200+ horse. (1150 ft/lbs of torque.)

So far what I found is Radial slicks have a narrower sidewall measurement thus a bigger tread width can be used for a car's fixed wheel-well clearance. Radials also last longer and have little to no tire growth at higher speeds. The downside is Bias ply slicks are softer thus grab better and are less expensive.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For maximum traction I would go with the Mickey Thompson drag radials. I went to the World Street Nationals in Orlando and all the cars in the radial tire class where using them. The top qualifier went 7.72 @190 on this tire . The slowest car to qualify in the 32 car field ran an 8.60. For pure performance this is the tire to use but dont plan on any wet weather driving or much tread life. If teadlife is an issue the BF Goodrich drag radial would be better (thats what I run ) they grip pretty good and they will last longer. I have heard that the Nitto Drag Radials are ok and will give maximum treadlife and are most suitable with street driving.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Just NEVER get caught in the rain!!!

I wouldn't run cheater slicks on the street...they make good wide street tires with full treads that are safe in all conditions.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
M/T ET Street is the leader

I want to thank you for everyones suggestions. Mickey Thomson's ET Street appears to be the tire of choice. I plan on (if Hot Rod invites me) running my Cuda in the 2005 Hot Rod Magazines pump gas challenge in May. (The exact date and place will be announced in January) One of the rules is only DOT tires allowed. I'm not worried too much about tread wear (The strip chews all tires up) or the rain. (The car has no wipers or heater so the rain is definitely out)

The Cuda is street-able (just barely) as far as licensing, lights and horn. Very minimal street driving (although the engine is suited for low RPM use.) will occur with this car. The car is still on the rotisserie and should be ready by March. The goal is a sub 9 second quarter mile. The car's weight to power ratio suggests that a sub 8 second quarter mile is possible but only with a 95%+ hookup to the pavement. As most of you know one never goes as fast as one hopes, or as fast as the car's full potential.

Thanks Again!

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
With 1200 hp you should get into the 5 sec area.

·
Registered
806 Posts
cojohnso said:
I have begun investigating tire options for street and strip use. The more I inquire the more questions arise. Does anyone know a good site for drag race tire use?

Bias vs Radial slicks?

Brand name vs cost?

Can a street cheater slick work on the strip?

The car is about 3,000 lbs The engine produces 1200+ horse. (1150 ft/lbs of torque.)

So far what I found is Radial slicks have a narrower sidewall measurement thus a bigger tread width can be used for a car's fixed wheel-well clearance. Radials also last longer and have little to no tire growth at higher speeds. The downside is Bias ply slicks are softer thus grab better and are less expensive.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Got any pics of the engine? :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have a picture of the engine yet. I have no scanner thus can't show. I will take some pics with a digital camera and update my profile.. And no 1200 horse won't get you any where near 5's. Pro Mods run 2000+ horse and are in the mid to high 6s and that is at 2350 lbs. Only nitro methane will get you 5s or better. (That I know of)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.