Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm building a 454 and whilst putting in piston #8 the end of the connecting rod hit the crank shaft counterweight causing a slight nick on the connecting rod corner and created a tiny mushroom over the edge where the bearing sits, one that you can just feel with your finger nail.
I put the bearing in and it went in fine however looking from the top you could see there was a really tiny difference between the two ends, I ended up putting it together and torquing it up with no issues

Would this create an issue or am I being overly paranoid as it's a tiny nick on the back side of the connecting rod where the bearing sits and has no affect on the actual bearing surface?

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
As long as the nick didn't result in a high spot under the bearing..... or out the side edge of the rod that hits the crank journal radius or prevents the rod cap from fully seating it won't be a problem.

you just have to be dang sure a high spot wasn't create....the metal that was in the dent formed by the nick has to go somewhere, typically it is raised around the edge of the dent like an impact crater lip around a meteor strike.

As long as it can't change or disturb anything else it would just be a cosmetic blemish.....but it is up to you to ensure any high spot caused by the nick isn't present.

Insert style bearings like rod and main shells are slightly higher at the parting line than the cap or block register, that is how they get bearing crush that retains the bearing from spinning in use.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
I’m in the school that connecting rods are the highest loaded part in the engine. I don’t like nicks and bruises on rods. It’s cheaper to replace them than the entire engine or more when one lets go.

This would drive me crazy every time I revved it up, the kind of thing that just endlessly gnaws on the back of my mind. If all this does is go to the grocery store and to church maybe if I was broke I‘d live with it but under most any other circumstance no way.

Bogie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts