Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am in the middle of rebuilding the front end of my 58 chevy pu with a volare clip. Has anyone ever used or cut slots in their brake pads? I have herd of people doing it but was wondering any pros / cons before I take the plunge. Its a mostly street driven hot rod.

Thanks
Jordon

·
Lost in the 60's
15,258 Posts
If you cut slots in them you are going to be reducing your braking surface.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Are you referring to Slotted or cross drilled rotors? Those are sold for better cooling during high performance driving/

Some pads do have a slot or two cut vertically in them but I believe that those slots are aimed more towards cutting down brake noise than cooling.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the past I have herd of people actually cutting a slot in the brake pad itself. I think its suposed to vent gasses that build up between the rotor and pad, simular to slotted rotors. I just cant find much info on it. Most of the searches I do come up with slotted rotors.

Jordon

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,731 Posts
I have seen it done it on dirt modified Rf to get the car to turn in better. I have seen then cut over half the pad away. They still didn't do well if that says anything. Seems to be unnecessary to me.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
I have a book called "Brake Systems" ,written by Mike Mavrigan and Larry Carley and published by HP books.

In it the author says the slots are put on some pads to stop friction material from cracking and chunking due to the backing plate flexing.

He writes that if you do it yourself, keep your cut straight and don't cut all the way through the friction material down to the backing plate.
He also says that if the pads are not slotted from the factory, then slots are probably not needed..

I used to slot the brake shoes on my dirtbike to give the mud a place to collect. I don't think it helped.
later, mikey

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help, I just got my new brake pads and they are riveted and the pad is actually vented out the rivet holes so it doesn't look like their would be any need for the slots.

Jordon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts