Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have my battery in a tough place to get to. Can I hook my slow charger positive cable to the terminal on my one wire alternator and then the negative cable to the engine block? Also what about hooking up jumper cables if need be? Could they also be hooked to the same place? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
It would prob work but I won't recommend it. BMWs have a remote pos post, jumper cable point located under the hood for ease of use etc.... basicly the pos cable from the battery (located in the trunk) runs to the remote post then continues on to the pos post on the starter. They have a nifty plastic cover on them, very neat install.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
The alternator hookup should be okay for slow charging, since the amperage is low. It won't work for jump starting since the 1 wire alternator charge wire is probably only about 8-10 gauge and it won't pass enough current to start a really dead battery.

If this is an SBC engine you could run a large gauge battery cable from the starter post up to a point that is easier to reach and put a terminal post for the positive connection.

There is also this type of terminal that could be prewired into the engine compartment. Then you could put the other terminal half on a jumper cable pigtail that could be plugged in whenever you need it. Dual Power Cable Link Housing

Bruce

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.