Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Taco
I am having issues with a slow start. I thought it was the battery, so I exchanged it for a new one.
I turn the ignition, and get a click, usually meaning the battery is dead, right?
However, when I turn it again, the engine starts right up.

So my thoughts are.. it's either the starter, or the alternator.

I did notice there was a LOT of build up on the battery posts before I changed out the battery, and I have
kept them clean, so far. I don't do a LOT of driving in it, so it goes a couple of days without starting.

I'm no mechanic. My brother is the expert here. But I just wanted your thoughts on where my money
is gonna go on this one: Alternator or Starter? (Both original on the model).

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
This type of problem is usually a bad wire connection. Check the main battery positive that runs to the starter and make sure it is clean, tight, and has a lock washer to keep it tight. Also check the solenoid activation wire that runs to the ignition switch. If that does not fix it, you may have a weak solenoid.

Bruce

·
Registered
963 Posts
Usually when it just clicks, but everything is new/in good working order, it will be a bad connection. Usually at the post.
Get a can of battery cleaner and spray on, then rinse off and dry as per instructions.
On top post batteries I find those stupid felt circles hold up the cable, so I throw those in the trash. Loosen the cable end, and tap it down lightly. All the way down onto the fattest part of the post. This way you can get a good bite on the connection.
Don't buy new parts yet, until you know something is bad for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm thinking it's a weak starter or solenoid. Will check those two out. The posts and cables are clean.
Thank you both!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts