Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a build post for my Ford Model-A roadster. Since it's black with blue wheels (black and blue), one forum reader suggested that I give it a tough name. Sluggo, of course, is the tough friend of Nancy in the comic strip. I may change my mind.
My first car, age sixteen, was a '31 Ford Model-A. Of course, being sixteen, I had to make it into a hot rod. I made a thousand mistakes but it finally turned out OK. Now I'm 82 and this car will likely be my last project and I think a '31 Ford is the way to end up.
It started with a rusty '31 frame with a legible serial number. I found it on eBay in Texas. After a year of messing with DMV's. I was able to obtain a title. Then I contacted Zig's Street Rods( (Portland, OR) and ordered a frame (made by TCI in Southern California). It has coil-over schocks F & R, disc brakes, rack-and-pinion steering and a 9 inch Currie rear end. This arrived, totally in pieces, after 3 months or so. This was season-1 in 2019. Powder-coating it and putting it all together took up that season.
I should say that I live in Sun City West, AZ. My community has an Auto Restoration Club (ARC) with several lifts, air tools and a professional-quality paint shop. Best of all, they have a group of helpful car-guy members who helped a ton.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,152 Posts
I have said for the last couple of years my convertible is my last major build and I am just a kid at 75. I admire you for doing this and will enjoy watching the build.

John

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have said for the last couple of years my convertible is my last major build and I am just a kid at 75. I admire you for doing this and will enjoy watching the build.

John
Thanks for your kind words. I intend to put up photos as the build progresses.
Buzz (MoonBat)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Sun City West ,A Z, and love it-- except in the Summer. Then it frequently hits 115 degrees. My wife and I hide out in a little town on the Washington / Canada border called Linden. My hot rod work gets done October thru May. Here are some pictures: the aforementioned rusty '31 Ford frame and the (barely legible) serial #,

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
I've shown the Sluggo Model-A as a rolling frame. For an engine I contacted my old friend Don McClure. I met him when my daughter Stef and I were racing go-carts. He was building Briggs and Stratton 5 horse lawnmower engines that produced around 8 horses but only for 30 minutes or so at racing speeds. He now races a drag racer in the Northwest strips. His class is 5 liter (302 cu. in.) with manual (Doug Nash) transmission. I persuaded him to build me a 302 Ford V-8 that can be used on the street. It's not a pussycat though. The block is machined to produce 10 to 1 compression. The head is an aluminum Trick-Flow with big valves and roller cam and rockers. Here is a photo in the frame and some photos in my Yukon. The transmission is a Tremek T-5 The day after I turned 80 I drove from AZ to Pasco, WA, and picked it up.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,897 Posts
Looks like a nice project you got going on.

·
Registered
1969 Nova , 250ci - 155hp, OFFY-Intake , 390 Holley Carb , T 5 , 5speed
4 Posts
Hey MoonBat . . . . . nice "A-frame" . . . . . looking good , for sure .

I'll be watching . . . . . as . . . . . I can't even see my 'frame in th' shop' . . . keep going .

(and , I like the " ARC " - idea . .) . . (y) .

. . . . later , jim

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey MoonBat . . . . . nice "A-frame" . . . . . looking good , for sure .

I'll be watching . . . . . as . . . . . I can't even see my 'frame in th' shop' . . . keep going .

(and , I like the " ARC " - idea . .) . . (y) .

. . . . later , jim
Jim,
I appreciate your kind comment.
The ARC has been here in Sun Cirt West (SCW) for some years. The paint shop is fairly new. I planned to paint my Ford there but Covid closed the whole shebang, I found an experienced car painter who works with his cousin in a Phoenix suburb. It's looking pretty good. Here are some pics of the car in primer:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Next Sluggo chapter:
A couple of shots of the frame and engine with the radiator and electric fan- View attachment 525453 View attachment 525454 View attachment 525455
Next Sluggo chapter:
A couple of shots of the frame and engine with the radiator and electric fan- View attachment 525453 View attachment 525454 View attachment 525455
Next Sluggo chapter:
Pugsy and Fastford-
Thanks guys. How about a couple of car pics from you two ?

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,897 Posts
Pugsy and Fastford-
Thanks guys. How about a couple of car pics from you two ?
Sure, your thread, I will oblige.......

My summer cruiser is CURSE, my 69 El Camino.

It looked like that until about a month ago.
Daughter likes red, so looks like this now. Gotta be done by spring. Build thread: 1969 El Camino Thread

My 41 Chrysler New Yorker project. I have a build thread here for this also.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,897 Posts
Pugsy,
That is just TOO cool. I love it all- the color is perfect. I lived for a number of years in the Northwest (Anacortes, WA, on Fidalgo Island. Closed cars make a lot more sense there. Thanks for the photo. Lucky guy !
Thanks. The color was perfect until my daughter saw red.....literally.
I could never have an open top car myself. Need my sun blocking roof, AC, heat, and no wind thru what's left up there, ha.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts