Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Small Base Circle Cams

Small base circle cams are usually used in racing-type engines. Hence the RPM range. You can usually get about any cam / lobe configuration ground on a small base circle core though. If you are interested in that, a parts supplier/machine shop around you that deals with a cam company can have one made for you.

Chris Laarman
Ottawa Engine and Performance

·
Registered
534 Posts
backyard71nova said:
why are all small base cams so high in the rpm's, it's like you have to have a 7000 rpm engine to have one! what is the deal, are they just drag race cams or what?
They are for increased clearance on the connecting rod to cam lobe, IE stroker motors, unless you have a stroker motor, you don't need a small base circle cam.
If you so desire one, the cam companies can grind you one, I think Doug Herbert has some that may be in the lower RPM ranges.

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
dgcantrellsr said:
They are for increased clearance on the connecting rod to cam lobe, IE stroker motors, unless you have a stroker motor, you don't need a small base circle cam.
If you so desire one, the cam companies can grind you one, I think Doug Herbert has some that may be in the lower RPM ranges.
I am no engine expert, but that doesn't make sense to me. A stroker motor is usually a low RPM/ high torque motor....Why would that require a high RPM cam?

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
As dgcantrellsr wrote is for extra connecting to rod to cam clearance we built a 383 for a customer last year with a small base circle cam and it wasn't a high rpm peice take a look at this link http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106715&highlight=DYNO On alot of the SBC we built for circle track in the 010 blocks we blue print bore the cam tunnel for a BBC cam journal and on the Dart and Bowtie blocks we go wiith a 50MM or 55MM cam journal for for a better profile lobe and a core that does not twist as much and the new R07 block that NASCAR just accepted that GM introduced now has a 60MM cam tunnel.

On the real high end engines the bigger the base circle the better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.