Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My dad just got a truck with a small block chevy engine in it. we were told it's a 350 4 bolt, but the sticker on the fan shroud says its a 305. also, the pullys and fan look like there off of a 60's sbc so i dont know what it is. the only number i could get was off the deck, behind the alternator. the number is v1029tyx. if anyone can tell me anything about the engine i would appreciate it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Where's my id number on the block?

I looked on my block but i can't find the id number so i can see what type of block it is can someone tell me where i need to look please

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
Id

You will find a casting # and engine date on the back of the block just below the distributor on the bellhousing area. The date will be on one side the casting # on the other. If the heads haven't been changed their casting # is between the valves. You have to remove the valve pan covers. You can find all info once you have the #s at www.mortec.com

·
Registered
30 Posts
hey

hey how did you fare on your block as for the size and dates .By the way i had the same problem with my truck when i first got it cause the motor was swapped out in turn out to be a 350 .TIP THO if you go under the truck take a flashlight and mirror and degreaser spray on rag wipe the back of the bellhousing a little to the top and bingo with the mirror you should see evreything you need to know my read 5.7 lg sfg then gmc winter logo good luck buddy :mwink:

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
The casting number by itself will not tell you specifically what engine you have with very very few exceptions. A casting number is usually used for multiple years and displacements.
The engine ID#'s stamped into the pad on the front of the engine will give you the specifics. Assembly plant, day and date built and application. Although, some suffix codes are used more than once, you then need the date casting number off of the block to determine the year of manufacture.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Casting Number

before you go taking apart your valve covers to find the number, take off the oil fil cap and look right under that with a flashlight. Most of the time the number is right under the cap so you don't need to take anything apart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts